Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Locking' templates (2002)

Hi,

Unlikely I know, but has anybody come across a way of 'locking' or 'protecting' a ppt template, similar to how you can protect Excel spreadsheets? We have a client who wants to be able to stop their users editing the company template.

Thanks, Laurie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Locking' templates (2002)

You can set a password for opening or for editing a PopwerPoint template, but I doubt your client would want that. It makes the template virtually unusable.
    Better place the template in a network folder in which the users have only read permissions. Users could still copy the template to their own template folder and edit it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Depending on what changes you want to restrict. You might be able to combine all the text and graphics into a single graphical object on the background of the slides. This would make it difficult to modify the text.

regards,

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for both your ideas. I think your idea would partially work StuartR, but they ideally also want to lock down things like formatting of text and bullets, not just the backgrounds. I think they're being a bit overoptimistic (and dictatorial) really - I have suggested that maybe Office 2007/ Sharepoint might give them more control. That gave them food for thought!

Thanks, Laurie