Removing TrueType fonts from Word menu (Word 2000 SR-1)

I want to remove as many TrueType fonts as possible from the Word font menu. We only use PostScript fonts and use of TT fonts in documents is a big problem. Anyone know of a way to remove them? You can delete fonts out of the Fonts folder, but that doesn't get all the hidden ones.

Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Removing TrueType fonts from Word menu (Word 2000 SR-1)

Hi Phil,

Which "hidden ones" might we be talking about? Any chance these would be system fonts? You need to really know what you are doing before you start removing these, otherwise your menus and dialog boxes will start to look very strange.

You might check with your printer manufacturer and see if there is a way to exclude these fonts from the printer driver. (Or even click on properties for the printer and check out the options already built into the driver.) If the driver for your system's default printer doesn't accept the font, Word won't see it.

Note, though, that through a bug in Word 2000, if your printer is changed using a VBA program in Word, this will change the default system printer to that set by the VBA program.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger

Re: Removing TrueType fonts from Word menu (Word 2000 SR-1)

Apologies for the rather long post, but I am attempting to be as exhaustive in my reply as my current knowledge and experience permits.

1. I suggest you leave Courier New, MS Sans Serif, MS Serif and MS Mincho TT Fonts on your machine -- they seem to be used internally by Word at various places. Otherwise, all TrueType Fonts can be deleted from the WIndows Fonts Directory. Courier New's distinctive appearance from most other fonts also alerts you visually to any quiet substitution by Word. For example, a substitution of Helvetica by Arial is hardly visible. Not having Arial installed will force usage of Helvetica.

2. You could add to the Font Substitution Section in the .ini file on your desktop.

3. You could go to Tools|Options|Compatibility and press the Font Substitution Table to see whether any fonts which appear as visible are actually in the file, or have been quietly substituted by Word.

4. Elsewhere on this Lounge, there is an excellent macro to list all fonts used in the document. You could try this out as a double check. I have used it quite often, with excellent results.

5. Alternatively, or in addition, if you regularly create PDFs or PS files using Adobe Distiller, you could configure the JobOptions Settings to substitute any Truetype fonts in the document with Base 14 fonts.

6. If you have a Pre-flight Checking plug-in like Enfocus Pitstop, you could even have the Truetype fonts substituted by Postscript Fonts. You get much more control over fonts using these add-ons. The document can substitute, embed and subset a font with any other font you specify.

7. Remember, Word files with Postscript fonts are just not portable. There is no way a Word file can embed Postscript Fonts. For this, PDF is the solution.

8. I have found serious problems like the machine itself hanging and getting blue-screen GPF messages when I attempted to use subset embedded TrueType fonts option in Word. So stay away from it.

Phew! That was long!