3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 7 installation (IE7 !!!)

I've just let Windows Update give me Internet Explorer 7 and installed it. When I open it, it tells me that 'Internet Explorer cannot open this webpage"--this seems to be true of any webpage, even Microsoft's own, though occasionally I get text only from another site. I'm a Firefox user anyway, so I can live without it if I can. But can anyone tell me what is wrong here? And am I safe to use System Restore just to get IE 6 back? IE 6 was working fine--but I use IE tab extensions enough for this to be a serious pain.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks

Thanks

Re: IE 7 installation (IE7 !!!)

Philip,
    If you just want to revert back to IE 6, Go to Control Panel>AddRemove programs and click on the IE 7 entry, remove.
    It will guide you through the steps to remove it and will also revert you back to IE 6 in the process.

However, before you do, have you checked into IE 7s, Internet Explorer security settings? They are somewhat different than IE 6 and could be the reason for blocking you from accessing the sites.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

many thanks. In the end I just couldn't stand it, so did a system restore. You get a warning when you install that you have to disable virus and anti-spyware programmes--and in this institution I can't disable the virus stuff on my own. So I'm going to start with our own IT adviser.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Philip,
    Your comment re being warned to disable virus and anti spyware programs prior to installing IE7 is interesting. I installed IE7 a couple of weeks ago, when offered by MS's update function - No mention of having to disable anything prior to upgrade - I was (and am still) running MSAS (Defender, Beta version), Spybot's Teatimer and NIS suite, all of which run realtime. The install went smoothly and I've had no problems since - I actually quite like IE7 (shock, horror!). I wonder if anyone else has had experience of being asked to disable anything prior to installation?
    Glad system restore worked for you anyway.
    Cheers,
    Keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have now installed IE7 on over 10 machines and I have NOT have any issues of any types. True, I have remove ALL third party IE stuff before installing, this includes toolbars, IE spell checkers and etc. I have NOT turned OFF any AV or firewall.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all. I discovered that the incompatibility was with a Filter programme that I have called FilterGate. Once I disabled that , it installed fine.