Super Moderator
    Thanks

Project Work Records (2003)

I am revisiting a project a did a few years ago because I have been asked to do something similar for someone else, and I am wondering if there is a better way to handle one aspect.

The project tracks research projects undertaken, and how much time has been spent by staff members on each project. So there is a Projects table, a Staff table, and Staff_Projects table (that records which staff are assigned to which projects) and a Work Wecords table which is related to the Staff_Projects table and (effectively) says that on a certain date a certain staff member did an amount of work on a specified project.

The problem is that they want to be able to view and enter data in a calendar view as shown below. So you select a staff member, and the calendar initially shows the current fortnight. Any projects the staff member is assigned to a listed on the left. Any work records already entered are displayed, and zeros are shown otherwise. There is a daily total for the person.

The only way I could think to do this was to have a temporary table, with each record representing work done on a project by a staff member in a two week period, and a field to represent each day in the fortnight period , and complicated procedure to write work records into this temporary table to display them, then another complicated procedure to update work records whenever you change anything in this calendar view.
    Now all this does work, but I wondering if there is a better way to do it.

Because the number of projects per staff member is variable, I don't think I can do it with an unbound form.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Project Work Records (2003)

You could create a continuous form based on a non-updatable query. Use code in the On Dbl Click event of the text boxes to let the user edit a value in a pop-up form, then requery the continuous form.

Or create an unbound form with a fixed number of rows of controls. The rows are hidden initially. In the On Open or On Load event of the form, you unhide as many rows as needed (with the number of available rows as maximum). Since the form is unbound, you must use code to populate the controls and to save changes.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for those suggestions Hans.

I am not sure that either of the options you suggest has any advantage over my current solution, unless there is some really strong objection to using a temp table. As long as the database is compacted regularly, I don't mind them.

I believe that in its current use, staff often sit down at the end of the month and enter all their work for the whole month. So quick and easy data entry for a range of projects and dates is important. So I don't think they would like having to use popup forms, and the constant requerying would probably be a bit slow.

I had wondered whether there might be some advantage in using an unbound form but I think it would involve code very like my current code.
    Regards
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I know it's not what the users want but could you use a structure of a:
    1. Main form showing Staff member
    2. Projects per Staff member
    3. Date and Hours per Project/Staff member

Instead dates across the top, it would down. I don't need to tell you this of course.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I was just suggesting possible alternatives. If your current setup works well, there is no compelling reason to abandon it.
    I agree that data entry through popup forms is not attractive; it would only be acceptable for occasionally modifying a value.