5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Programming xml (2003)

I'm studying XML and my intention is to be able to demonstrate certain aspects of it. I can import/export xml, but want to demonstrate programming it.
    Supposing I create a Word letter and save it as an XML document. What I would like then like to do would be to create a small OnClick procedure to import this document and append it to an existing table. I intend to submit the document name as text within a text box, and use this within the procedure.
    How do I begin? I need either a sample procedure or a resource which demonstrates the basics of the XML DOM. Any advice? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programming xml (2003)

How basic are you looking for? The help file offers the ImportXML method specifics, so I assume you want something more than

<code>Application.ImportXML DataSource:="employees.xml", ImportOptions:=acStructureAndData</code>

The basics of working with XML are covered pretty well in the Access 2003 help files. Essentially, you work with an ADO recordset to shift data to and from xml format from within Access 2003, same as in A2k and AXP.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programming xml (2003)

Thank you. What I want to do is to be able to demonstrate programming XML, so I need to 'force' the example to be a little more complicated. I know I could use the ImportXML method and then execute an Append Query to add the record to a main table. I would like to be able to use code to 'look into' the XML document and extract the relevant tagged values to become fields in a new record. Andy.