4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding columns to a table (Word 97/2000/2003/...)

Hi

I have a problem where adding columns to the right of the last column actually adds the columns in the middle. The table has merged cells in it. After a long soul searching and trial & error I think it is due to merged cells. Now, I can add a column to the right of the table easily without the hasle of selecting each row, go to last column, insert CELL (shift to the right), go to the last cell on the row, copy the contents, copy to the previous column & then clear the contents of the last column. I have attached two picture - before and after to define the problem. Any ideas how to extend the table easily please? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding columns to a table (Word 97/2000/2003/...)

The only 'easy' answer is not to use merged cells, I think. They mess up a lot of things if you try to manipulate columns in a table.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi robie,

One way of dealing with this would be to:
    . make sure 'preferred width' in Table|Table Properties|Table is not checked
    . split the table before & after each set of rows with the same group of merged cells
    . add the new column to each of the resulting tables
    . format the new columns on all tables so they're the same width
    . delete the intervening paragraph marks to re-join the different rows.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys but my users insist on merging cells. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

I will pass your messages on that there is no simple answer. I expected WORD to behave differently in that if you add columns to the right of the table then that is where it should add them not in the middle of the table. If it allows you to merge cells than it should also be able to work out where columns should be added etc.

Robie
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> If it allows you to merge cells than it should also be able to work out where columns should be added etc.

I agree, but unfortunately, the implementation of merged cells leaves much to be desired. So if it is really necessary to use them, you must be prepared to do extra work...

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Robie,
    <hr> expected WORD to behave differently in that if you add columns to the right of the table then that is where it should add them not in the middle of the table.<hr>
    That is what Word does! but it adds extraneous columns as well.

For example:
    . create a scratch table with various numbers of merged cells.
    . select the marker at the end of any row - don't select the cell.
    . insert a column at that point. Word will oblige by inserting not only the required column but also as many as are needed on each row to bring its column count up to the number of columns now existing in the row with no merged cells. That is, if a row has 3 merged cells, Word will add three columns to that row, not just 1. These new cells/columns are all added at the end of the row, not in the middle.
    You can now delete the extraneous cells/columns.

Things only become complicated if you have a table with unequal row lengths and/or you're trying to insert a column in the middle. Adding a column on the left end of a table only adds a single column.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]