Thread: MCE (Current)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MCE (Current)

I'm about to buy a laptop that comes pre-loaded with Windows MCE. It will mainly be used for general PC work - Word, PowerPoint, photo editing and so on rather than media playing/recording, by people who are familiar with XP but not MCE.
    The only thing I know about MCE is that it is basically XP with a different front end - so is it possible to configure MCE so that the desktop looks like a standard XP one?

George

Thanks

Re: MCE (Current)

George,

I can't say from my own experience but if you google "Windows MCE plug ins", there seems to be a large number of things available. You'll have to sort through them to see if they can do what you want.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Viking. I've googled around already and haven't found an answer to my particular question, but I'll have another go. I've noticed that there's a TweakUI for MCE, so that might be a help.

George

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My Dell came with MCE installed and I don't use any of that TV, etc. stuff either. To be honest about it, I don't see anything glaringly different about the desktop GUI. Either you use Windows XP's "look" or you switch to "Classic" and other than the so-called media stuff that comes pre-installed, there's little difference in the way Windows operates, IMHO. Frankly, I can't tell the difference between the MCE machine and my older machine which has XP Pro installed. I think you should go with the flow and enjoy your new machine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi George. I should've included this question in my previous post. Do you mind passing along a link to a MCE version of TweakUI, please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here it is: Download details: Tweak MCE PowerToy. Blurb:
    <hr>Overview
    Tweak MCE gives you access to systems settings and options not normally exposed in the Windows XP Media Center Edition user interface, including remote control settings, Skip and Replay time customizations, user interface options, and more. It also helps you to optimize Media Center Extender for plasma and non-CRT displays.<hr>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans! I wonder why they don't include this link on the "regular" PowerToys page, since they already have a 64-bit version listed. Based on the blurb and the fact that I (for one) don't use all that stuff about TV, remote control and so on, I don't know if I should install it to replace the "regular" TweakUI or not. In any case, I've downloaded it for possible reference. Thanks again...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's reassuring Big Al. Thanks for your help.

George