Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook causes Blue Screen (XP Home Office 03)

I am XP Home and Office 03, both current fix

I have a problem with my system going to blue, shutting down and usually rebooting. I was having a problem with Outlook. If I tried to "Repair" or almost anything else it went to blue. When I ran ZoneAlarm Security Suite it would go to blue. Now just about every morning it has rebooted. I do a scan every night.

A couple of times ZoneAlarm Suite has not fully does it thing, check every night but I have record of it not working correctly. When it was worse I called ZA. They suggested a path of go to safe, delete a file with-in ZA and reboot. It has been better since but not right.

I don't know for sure if Outlook is the problem, but I think so. My thought is to do a setup and remove Outlook and re install. Possible? My unknown and mighty fear is how to save my .PST file and not loose it. My understanding is that it is very temperamental easy to screw up.

There is a lot of useless words and long strings of character on the blue screen but they are meaning less to me of course.

Some thoughts and detailed instructions if obvious would be very much appreciated.
    Regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook causes Blue Screen (XP Home Office 03)

You can make a backup copy of your .pst file before trying further steps.

Perhaps your .pst file is corrupt. You can use the Scanpst.exe repair tool to fix problems with it, if any. This tool can be found in C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemMapi1033 where 1033 is the language ID for your version (1033 = US English)
    Or your Outlook profile may be corrupt. You can try creating a new profile in the Mail control panel.
    The next step could be a repair install of Outlook or Office 2003. This won't affect your data files and most of your settings. A repair install is done from the Add/Remove Programs control panel.

Thanks

Re: Outlook causes Blue Screen (XP Home Office 03

Does the blue screen refer to a particular EXE or DLL toward the top? Sometimes that is useful for diagnosis.

You might consider taking your computer offline (e.g., pull the network cable out) overnight in case some internet-communicating software or inbound communication is causing problems.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I did the Scanpst exercise per Hans. It suggested that there were several problems and fixed them. This morning the system had rebooted in the night so the problem still exists.

For a few months I was having a problem with Outlook freezing up. Would not do anything and would get hung-up getting new messages. If I did a close and open and it restarted OK. A few weeks ago I put in a request on the lounge, got some replies, including Scanpst, and it stopped getting hung up but I got the Blue screen problem. I have Zone Alarm Security Suite and do a scan every night. I am wondering if that some how is annoying Outlook or some setting is a problem.

Jscher suggested remove and replace Outlook in Add/Remove. It is not obvious how to do that. There is no Outlook listed in Add/Remove. If you come back with a method of remove and reinstall as a suggestion, hopefully detailed, what to do with the PST files during the process would be appreciated.

I leave my PC on 7X24 on Comcast cable. I would rather not need to disconnect the cable connection every night or shut it down.

I had mentioned the problem to ZA and they had me do an exercise but that was to repair a different problem.

Thanks again for your thoughtful help.
    Regards,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could close Outlook before you go to bed and start it again when you get up. If the problem doesn't occur any more, it might have been caused by the nightly ZA scan.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

What is the error number and message from the BSOD?

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You won't find Outlook as a standalone application in Add/Remove programs - it is part of the Office suite, look there, use Change, and you'll need the installation source files (usually on CD).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Actually, I did not suggest removing or reinstalling Outlook, although a Detect and Repair might be a good move.

ZoneAlarm probably lets you exclude files from a scheduled scan. If so, exclude any files with a PST extension and see whether that helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    This is a group reply to the several much appreciated suggestions.

I closed Outlook in the evening and The system still rebooted

I do not know what the error message is as It does it at night and reboots.

I have done Detect and Repair in Outlook several times.

There has been a suggestion of removing and reinstallng Office. if that is a solution option I will do it. Would that remove and/or should I remove any MS fixes that have come in over the last few yeaars for Office 03 and re down load? Would I lose anything? I am a novice and would need some help/direction if that is the right answer.

I have run 1 Fix PC repair for the Registry and RegestryFix. Both seem to come up with problems but it doesn't fix the problem.

I think tonight I will try powering down the modem and shutting down ZA, to see if there is any reaction. obviously anything is possible, at least from my perspective, but I still think Outlook is some how "off". I would think if the latest release of ZA was broken and corupts Outlook and or MS software we would have heard about it.

Thanks again for the help and support.
    Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks

To find out the error message and code right click My Computer and select Properties. Then click the 'Advanced' tab and then the 'Settings' button in the 'Startup and recovery' section near the bottom. Then in the 'Sytem Failure' section uncheck 'Automatically Restart' and OK your way out.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe,
    I unchecked restart and will see what happens. Last night I went off the network and shut down ZA. No shut down. (?)

I think I will try leaving it up with the no reboot option on.

Regards,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for the help all,
    As I mentioned about an hour ago, I had shut down ZA over night. I fired it up this morning and when I got back from the gym fhe blue screen was on. Obviously, I guess, this has something to do with ZA. and the scan.

The incomprehensible words were in several places
    Drive_IRQL_not_less_or_equal

***Stop.........................
    ***Stop IdeChndr.sys Address F864cc5F base at F8648000 DAte Stamp 3cb4dzc0

If anyone has a suggestion about the error message above, please let me know.

The ZA logs seem to suggest that the scans have occured. I wonder if they are not really completed? I am going to ADD/Remove and remove ZA, and reinstall as default.
    More later.
    Regards,

Administrator
    Thanks

Take a look at several of the links in idechndr.sys - Google Search. There is a suggestion to install the latest Intel Application Accelerator. Another is run CHKDSK. For further help you really need the first Stop line with all the numbers.

Joe
    Joe