3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dates held in Word metadata (office 2002)

Word holds 4 dates readily visible when you inspect the statistics properties of a document - created, modified, accessed and printed. Can anyone point me to an explanation of how these dates are generated, what happens when documents are copied in e.g. explorer, what happens when a document is opened and then closed without changes.

In particular, can anyone explain how the same file burned to CD twice, three weeks apart, and not straddling a clock change, can have a "last modified" date an hour different.

Thanks

MikeC

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dates held in Word metadata (office 2002)

The creation date in the Statistics tab can be different from the creation date in the General tab - the lst indicates when the file was created on this particular computer. So say I create a document on November 10, then e-mail it to you, and you save it to your hard disk on November 20. The creation date in the Statistics tab will be November 10, but that in the General tab will be November 20.
    The last modified date indicates when the document was last saved. A daylight saving time switch or an explicit change to your computer's system clock or time zone are the only reasons I can think of for an hour's difference.
    The last accessed date is probably always "now", since looking at the document means accessing it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Hans,

Its a puzzle becaues it is the same PC, it gets its time from the network, there wasnt a daylight saving time shift and yet there is this difference. What happens if you just copy a file in explorer on the one PC - are all four attributes just replicated as they were? Can the act of accessing the file to brn the coopy change anything - Nero was used.

I think I'll set a test file running.

regards,
    MikeC

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Burning a file twice, with a few weeks in between, shouldn't cause a one hour difference in the last modified date/time. No idea what is going on here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks anyway Hans,

all the best

Mike C