New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook using various 'Default' addresses (2003)

Let's say my default email address (of 14 total) is "01"
    Last week I noticed that an email came back from a client to an email address that I hardly EVER use- we'll say account "04". This happened several times. I double checked my default address 01, was indeed checked, and it was.

Then this morning, I replied to an email from a different client. This time, Outlook said,
    "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
    <snip>
    The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
    <snip...com' on 11/27/2006 11:52 AM
    None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient."

When I opened that Outlook response, I noticed that Outlook had used yet another email, say, "03" to send the message.

I've double checked that the correct default address is checked before sending.
    I've removed ALL of the email addresses from Outlook, restarted the PC and reentered them, with the intended default address last, then selecting it.

Same result this time using address "02"
    BTW, there is no rhyme nor reason for what it selects.

I opened the account list and have selected different defaults, closed it, come back and reselected my preferred one.

Some test emails come back fine. Others get changed. It also appears that certain"Send To" Address may cause the issue- whether I type them wholelly, or select them from my address book.

This is becoming an issue, as now I'm not sure what account is going to be used to send emails. I've searched this, but only see one related issue that is really not the same:
    http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthread...vc=1#Post505923

This is happening on my HP laptop independent of any server/network issues.
    ====
    Added Later:
    This now appears to be getting more serious. Now most all email I "send" is being bounced by Outlook with the above, "None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient." message. The email never leaves the computer.

HELP!

Thanks

Re: Outlook using various 'Default' addresses (200

Outlook commonly tries to reply using the account through which the message was received. Is that what's happening here?

Manually changing the account-to-send-from using the drop-down is easy but also easy to forget!

One solution is to configure all your account to use the same outbound SMTP server. This way, it is irrelevant which one Outlook chooses. This assumes that one of them actually works. Usually it is the one for the ISP to which you are connected at the time, since most ISPs reject SMTP relay requests from outside their networks (unless you authenticate first, using the ISPs prescribed procedure).

Another option is to display an account picker at the moment of sending for every outbound message. Could be annoying, but... if you're interested, see this post: Re: Prompt for Account (2003)

New Lounger
    Thanks

This happens on NEW messages as well as replies to "existing" emails- however when I first noticed the account switching last week, OL was picking up a different email to reply from.

And I need to send from various accounts occasionally. So the "Same" outgoing server is not as relevant as having one email from "thisemail@grantholmes.com" and the next one from "thatemail@digiwonder.com"

This is something new that generally was not happening before last week, so leads me to believe that something has been hosed.

Also, just for clarity, the refusal to send is happening BEFORE it gets out of my PC, as it were. I can hit SEND, see it drop to the OUTBOX, wait a couple seconds, then it hits my INBOX as "unsendable".

The idea of using an Account Picker is admirable (thank you for the idea), however, I can do that inside the email and doesn't seem to matter. And as you point out, I need to find one that works!

All of these email accounts worked before and were able to send mail before.

Thanks

Do you use any outbound spam filter? This might be a dedicated product (e.g., Outlook add-in, filtering proxy) or a feature of your firewall or security suite.

Still wouldn't explain Outlook randomly trying different accounts...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I do use PCIllin, but I've had that for a LONG time.

FWIW, I tried setting one account up in OLExpress and got this message on send:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'xxx@amatteroftime.org'. Subject 'Projector', Account: 'XXXX1', Server: 'mail.myserver.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

One more FWIW, I'm receiving email from these accounts just fine.

Thanks

You should not get that error if the following matches the ISP whose service you are currently logged in to:

> Server: 'mail.myserver.com'

However, you should get that error if you are trying to send using that server without being logged in or otherwise authenticated.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I know I'm good on my settings. My provider says I might have a "Qmail" issue. They are looking into that.

Could that type problem cause this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Grant,

Off topic: your new signature is very long. As the Edit Profile screen says
    <hr>Signature (300 chars Max. 3 lines at most. Graphics no taller than 38)<hr>
    So please reduce your signature to a maximum of 3 lines. You can put the info in your Occupation or Bio.

You can make a URL in your signature clickable by putting <!t><!/t> before it and <!t><!/t> after it. The result will look like http://www.GrantHolmes.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, that was the first time it actually showed up. I didn't realize it would be like that.
    Sorry!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!

Thanks

> My provider says I might have a "Qmail" issue.

QMail is a server program, so if there's a problem with it, unfortunately you can't fix it yourself.