Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Exit strategy (2003 SR2)

With 512 MB of RAM, and after making some headway with Systematic Approach to Behavioural Problems in Word, I'm still stuck. Word performs normally, will create and save and close a document, but when I hit Exit I hit a brick wall. Instead of an insertion point I have a vertical line the same height, and if watched in Task Manager Performance the CPU usage goes to 100% and only a very long delay will allow me to use the Task Manager to exit Word - Word doesn't want to exit on its own at all. Viewed in Processes Word doesn't seem to require much memory on its own, but I guess the 60-odd processes consume 100%. What I'd like to do is uninstall Word and then re-install it, but that option wasn't discussed in either the Lounge thread or the Microsoft troubleshooter (I don't think). It worked normally in past, but something is kaput.

Thanks

Re: Exit strategy (2003 SR2)

You might run some extra malware/spyware scans to rule out any parasites.

Also, if you use Word to compose email, you might try closing your email client before closing Word.

Otherwise, if winword.exe /a doesn't avoid the problem, then it might well be one of the program files or registry settings. I haven't ever had to fully remove Office from a machine, but in the old days, Microsoft offered an eraser program to scrub out registry and other settings to ensure a "clean" re-install.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still experimenting, but the proposal was to remove Word temporarily from the Office configuration, not to remove the entire Office suite. What I forgot is that before you even do that, you can 'Reinstall or Repair Office' (in Control Panel), then choose 'Detect and Repair Errors in my Office Installation'.

That didn't work for me, but as I say I'm still trying, and I have made progress, since the problem before I started the troubleshooting sessions was that Word wouldn't even start for me, with the same memory problem, something I failed to mention in the earlier post.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Your registry suggestion appears to be the most likely source of the trouble. Autoruns tells me that

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerBootExecute

is a scrambled mess, with no normal contents. Since the computer appears to run normally aside from Word, is this as suspicious as it appears, and if it needs to be repaired or restored, can you suggest an approach?

Thanks

I am loathe to selectively knock out Word-related parts of the registry without reading some detailed documentation first! You might try the MVPs.org site or other sources for that kind of guidance.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much. That looks like a terrific link that I wasn't previously aware of and have now bookmarked, but I may be in for a long search and I welcome suggestions from anyone who thinks the problem looks familiar.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> the CPU usage goes to 100% a
    Sounds like a corrupted document to me.
    It ought to take less than a couple of minutes to test:
    1) Open the doc
    2) save as an RTF
    3) close without saving
    4) exit word,
    5) open the RTF
    6) save as doc

I know that may well have cost you a toolbar and macros,
    but you can than repeat the process to salvage your macros (in VBE right-click and export module).

Most times I've seen your symptoms it has been caused by a toolbar problem

Hope this helps.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only person to have seen this problem, but sorry to be one who has it.

I haven't had luck with the remedy, because I can apply it to a new document and have the problem, which suggests the global template at minimum, and I've restored that to the default without success.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I haven't had luck with the remedy,

The other thing that comes to mind is "Problems with graphics".
    (6?) years ago I felt that some documents with graphics were causing me problems.
    In retrospect it may have been playing around with graphic elemenst of the toolbar.
    Still, it's worth a poke to see if stripping out all graphics/shapes isolates (without solving) the problem.

>I've restored that to the default without success.
    "restored"?
    I recommend a cup of cocoa and Windows Explorer; search for all ocurrences of "Normal*.do*" and rename them with an extra extent of ".OLD".
    Reboot.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As a result of your post, I can't help wondering if it's a result of running other programs from Word, or vice versa.

I searched for all instances of Normal.do? and renamed the extension of all three (I had only done so with one previously), thereby letting Office rebuild the template for the current user. I changed the font to Fry's Baskerville. I regret to say that the behaviour at Exit is the same.

The interesting thing is that the toolbar has inherited at least one icon and one name and an additional toolbar. These are checked on the Templates and Add-Ins list, where previously I had unchecked them as part of the troubleshooting. One is CopernicSummarizerOffice.dot, which I have had since Year One and which has always been reliable, another is ORPRO_v3.dot, which appears as both OfficeReady Professional title and a Start OfficeReady Professional toolbar (which expands into a real extravaganza). ThesMenu.dot is the third remaining add-in and it is active but is accessed by a right click, with no icon. I had dragged others away as part of the troubleshooting, but I still have them as 'scrap' on the desktop.

The kind of programs I am thinking of are those that link with Word or other Office programs: voice input, scanner input, OCR, PaperPort, compression utilities (Stuffit, at least). Even the venerable WordWeb Pro has returned to having the option of providing a direct link to Word. I can

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You recently posted a reply to Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> so you have obviously seen that post, but as you still have add-ins loading automatically, you apparently not followed all steps yet. As part of the testing, you should move *all* add-ins to another location, whether they work correctly in your opinion or not.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You've got me fair and square and I can see it right off the bat, although I haven't waded through the troubleshooting sequence yet.

I was positive I had done it at least once, especially since I was reminded of it in the first reply (by jscher2000), but I just ran winword.exe /a and it worked perfectly. It's possible I fell into the trap of letting Word restore the 'saved' file (in the left pane) when I ran winword.exe /a previously, which no one cautioned against, but it is a great relief to see that I should be able to take it from here. I can't figure out how I missed removing those add-ins previously, since I did try to follow the procedure, and I have a truckload of other add-ins on the desktop to show for it.

Thank you very much for spotting so swiftly what had me so bewildered.