4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the name of a file with SendObject (Access 97 sr2)

I have a form which exports a report to a designated drive and sends the same report to a designated email address in Excel format. I have been able to name the report to file fine i.e the file name should be the "Full Age Range" with the current date i.e. "Full Age Range180701" .

I have been unable to specify a file name for the file when sending it to an email address. The code i'm using is:

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, ReportName, acFormatXLS, _
    "philipj@education.co.uk", , , _
    SubjectText, , False

Is there another command I can use that includes the file name?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

(Alternatively, is there a way I can send a specific file in a directory to and email address using code similar to the above?)

dave_hill

Re: Changing the name of a file with SendObject (Access 97 sr2)

It might be that its coughing on the filename, even though you're using a variable. I've had problems where XL interprets each space character as the end of the filename. Try reducing the filename to ol' DOS 8.3 format and see if there's a better result.
    You might alternately try Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q161088 - Using Automation to Send a Microsoft Outlook Message or Q153311 - Using Automation to Send a Microsoft Exchange Message. Hope your using one of those mail products...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean, the file name? SendObject is used to send a database object and you've specified the object (report) name. You don't have a file, so which file name are you talking about?
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

By file name I meant the name of the file when it has been attached to outlook - when using DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport it automatically uses the name of the table/query/report that is being sent.

Thanks for your replies, however, I think i've solved it. As I'm having to save the file to disk first anyway, I thought I'd send the file instead of the actual report.
    I found, tucked away in an old database, a function that is called which is based around the following variables:

Dim ol As New Outlook.Application
    Dim ns As Outlook.NameSpace
    Dim newMail As Outlook.MailItem

This method seems to work fine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's the automation that Dave referred to. You can see how useful it is.
    Charlotte