4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Additional Hard Disks

I've built my own PC's for a while, and I've always used to HDD's on one IDE channel, and one or more optical drive on the other.

I use a mini home network for backup, but I'm running out of space with 2 x300Gb drives (lots of photos).

My MB (an Asus one) supports 4 SATA drives. Is it possible to add SATA to the existing IDE drives. The manual isn't clear (there's a surprise) it just says

NViDIA nForce 4 SLI chipset supports
    2 x ultra DMA
    4 x Serial ATA
    Raid etc.

Or is it necessary to have all IDE or all SATA.

As an alternative, I presume I could add an IDE drive on the second IDE channel (I now only have one DVD drive) and this is rarely used other than for new installs

Thanks

Colin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Additional Hard Disks

Although my SATA experience is limited to my current machine, if your motherboard has both SATA and IDE connectors, there should be no reason you can't mix. I can on mine although I only have two SATA.

You also have today's fairly low priced external USB drives as an option, especially for something like backup. I have two and backup imaging to them works nicely.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try it then.

I do have an extrenal USB as well that I use for extra off-site back-up, but it needs an external powre supply as well, and so is less convenient.

Colin

Thanks

You can mix IDE and SATA. I added a SATA drive to the wife's old machine which had IDE. The process was fairly painless apart from the porting of the old C drive onto the new SATA drive. The software which was supposed to do this messed up the Windows Installer which then broke Office2000. A deep clean of Office and a re-install solved it.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

Thanks

If you HAVE a spare IDE drive, then I would use that as a slave drive on the open IDE port.

If you will be going out to BUY a new drive, then I would opt for SATA as being the more up to date type of HD.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would also suggest this thread ( <post:=611,127>post 611,127</post:> ) as reference reading if you haven't already.