4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Paragraph Numbering (W97)

I know there's been lots of postings about this & I have trawled them to try and resolve my irritating problem. As I haven't so far I am posting this in desperation; this is a problem which I haven't encountered even though I think I've done exactly the same thing before.

I have a document, which is part of a larger document, I abandoned using a Master document as I got very big corruption which took 3 days to recover from (and, of course, we don't really understand what happened!) Anyway i now have a number of "sub-documents" each of which I am managing the numbering for including Paragraph numbering. My problem is that in, for example, the document I want to start at "3. > headingtext" I change the start number to 3 using Format, Style, Numbering. All is fine until I close the document and reopen it when it has reverted to 1. I don't want to change the template as it is used for all parts of my large document and others so, for the template, starting at 1 is what I need. But I am sure I've changed the document style in this way before and made it stick. One other complication, the numbering starts at Heading 2, Heading 1 is not numbered. Finally at this client I am unfortunately using Word 97, so maybe I'm remembering wrong as I use 2000 generally.

Any Ideas???

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Paragraph Numbering (W97)

Hi,

As far as the problem with the numbering reverting to "1" every time you reopen the document, the first thing to check would be to go to Tools > Templates and Add-Ins - is there a checkmark next to 'Automatically update document styles'? - there should not be, as if this is checked on it will produce the behavior you describe.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I wish it was that Easy! no I never use automatic syle updating... very dangerous in my view; nor do I use the applyt geading auto bullets & numbering as i have found they create havoc. Any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sure - just thought of most frequent cause #2 - especially since you're tallking about Word 97: if the text of a numbered paragraph contains any Unicode characters, this will cause the numbering to go bad, and do things like revert to 1, every time the document is saved.
    Some frequent offenders were the euro symbol and some types of bullets, but there are a large number of characters that will cause this. The problem has to do with Word's internal scheme for compressing the .doc file while saving; Unicode characters sort of cause Word to lose its place!

Full support for Unicode was not implemented until Word 2000. The only workaround in Word 97 is to substitute different characters.

Don't know if this is the cause though in this case. If not, post back and we'll try for cause #3.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

thanks for persevering, no it's nothing as obvious as this, the text is simple apha strings and there is nothing else obvious that I can think of... I am used to Word's nightmarish approach to numbering but this has me stumped!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Problem solved???? well not really, if in doubt reboot!

I created a new document based on exactly the same template (unchanged),
    inserted the file with the numbering problems,
    changed the numbering to start from something other than 1,
    saved & closed,
    reopened...

hey presto! it is fine

so what the original problem is I don't know, it's very irritating as it wastes so much time and brainpower which we could be applying to real problems. I'm grateful for your time, don't waste any more of it

many thanks.......... liz