Star Lounger
    Thanks

Personal.xls Password (2003)

At times, upon opening a spreadsheet I am prompted for a password for the personal.xls. When I press cancel, the spreadsheet opens normal.
    I may have changes some options while experimenting in VBA, but being the novice that I am, I'm not sure what I did...

Is there a way to reset the Personal.vba to default settings, thus eliminating the password prompt?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal.xls Password (2003)

Does this happen when you open a workbook from within Excel, or by double-clicking the workbook in Windows Explorer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It happens when I click on a file from explorer or outlook. Before the file will open, the Personal.xls password prompt appears. If I click cancel, the file opens normally. Then if I try and open another excel workbook (from within excel) the prompt does not appear.

I believe I know what the password is, as when I enter it at the first and second prompt I am not rejected. Since it appears that I know the password, how do I remove the password protection from Personal.xls to stop the password prompt from appearing in the future?

Thanks for your insight into this issue..

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

First, make sure that the check box "Ignore other applications" in the General tab of Tools | Options... is not ticked.

If that doesn't help, make Personal.xls visible temporarily: select Window | Unhide..., select Personal.xls and click OK.
    Select Tools | Options... and activate the Security tab.
    If you see asterisks in any of the password boxes, clear them, then click OK.
    Select Window | Hide to hide Personal.xls again.
    When you quit Excel, it'll prompt you to save changes to Personal.xls. Click Yes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok thanks, I'll give it a try...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I was unable to click on the Windows | Unhide link, as it was grayed out and not selectable.
    Unhide was not selectable regardless of whether or not I entered the Personal.xls password prompt upon opening a spreadsheet.

Also,
    In Tools | Options | Security ... the file encryption password fields are blank...

Do you have any other suggestions for me to try?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused - I don't understand what is happening and why. Try Jan Karel Pieterse's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL,290455>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in XL<!/post>.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks again for the reference site, the explanations were great...
    The fix, that worked for me, was to delete the Personal.xls file from the XLSTART folder and recreate the macros I use...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I know Google desktop search (used to) have a bug that causes this behaviour in some occasions. Do you happen to have it installed?

Also, removing a password is simple:

open the VBE (alt-F11). Select the personal.xls project there.

Go to Tools, VBAProject Properties (VBAProject is the name of the project belonging to the file, might be a different name)
    Click the protection tab, remove the checkmark in the hide project checkbox and remove the password characters from the two boxes below that.
    OK your way out, quit Excel (and say yes to save changes!)
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jan,
    Thanks, I did not have Google Desktop search installed on this laptop, but I'll be sure to use your tip on VBA properties, if this issue pops up again...
    Thanks for your reply and your helpful web site...
    Tom