4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change automatic updates (XP Pro SP2)

If I go to the Automatic Updates control panel, all of the options are greyed out. Automatic is selected but since everything is greyed I can't change it. Any ideas how to remedy this?

I did notice recently (perhaps when I installed SP2?) that Windows changed the way I have to log on. As this is a home computer I had no passwords when I first installed XP and then a month or so ago, suddenly my logon was changed and now, even though I have no password still, I have to hit OK at the logon screen when I boot up. Formerly, it booted straight up just like the good old days.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Can't change automatic updates (XP Pro SP2)

Usually when Automatic Updates is 'greyed out' that means you are operating on a network that has an update server and the administrator has configured you automatic updates. You can run the Group Policy editor to check the Automatic Update settings. Look at Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Update in both the Computer and User sections.

For the logon, there was a .net update that automatically added another account which caused an issue like this. You can check your local accounts and as long as you don't host any .net applications you can remove the aspnet account. If you don't want to remove it try disabling it first.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did remove the asp .net logon. Thanks.

I have no idea where to find the Group Policy Editor. More specific instructions about where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I have no idea where to find the Group Policy Editor. More specific instructions about where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Start > Run > GPEDIT.MSC
    OK

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. That worked a charm.