Star Lounger
    Thanks

Show if file is modified (2003)

Does Word have the ability to show if an open document has been modified since the last save? In WP, "(unmodified)" appeared at the top of the screen immediately following the file name when first opened. Any change to the document caused the parenthetical to disappear -- and then reappear as soon as the document was saved. It's a small thing, but handy, and I'd like to have it in Word.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Show if file is modified (2003)

You could look at the Undo button on the Standard toolbar. If this button is enabled, the document has been modified since it was last saved.

Thanks

I'm using Word 2002, and my Undo button is only greyed if the document hasn't been modified since it was last opened (rather than since it was last saved, which is what the WordPerfect flag responds to). Is there an option setting that causes Word to wipe the Undo list whenever you save?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're correct.

There is no setting to automatically clear the undo buffer when a document is saved. You could use the application-level DocumentBeforeSave event to execute

ActiveDocument.UndoClear

but I don't think that's an attractive option. I think it's best to live without a 'Modified' indication, I fear that writing code for it will be rather tricky.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, I get the same result in 2003: the undo arrow only indicates a file is "unmodified" when first opened. Thanks for trying.

Thanks

I imagine you could use a procedure that monitors for changes and toggles the appearance of the Save button. You could hook it to the space bar or perhaps it would be possible to schedule it (put it on a timer). Once you set up the "hook," the procedure itself might be simple:

customizationcontext = activedocument
    if ActiveDocument.Saved then
    commandbars.findcontrol(id:=SaveButton).enabled = false
    else
    commandbars.findcontrol(id:=SaveButton).enabled = true
    end if

This is just speculation, however, I haven't tried it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The moment the user presses the space bar, the document is modified, so that isn't enough. Using Application.OnTime can have strange side-effects.

I think you'd have to use the application level DocumentChange and DocumentBeforeSave events too. Unfortunately, the latter doesn't provide a way to detect whether saving the document was canceled, and there is no DocumentAfterSave event.