Super Moderator
    Thanks

2007 Converters for 2003 (2003)

Microsoft has posted converters for the NEW 2007 file formats. The converters can be found at Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: 2007 Converters for 2003 (2003)

Just FYI, I tried those yesterday with a test file and they displayed a message that the 11/6/06 converters work only with documents created by the pre-release versions of Office 2007. There is a button to click for an update, but no update is available yet. (The test file was a .docx created on the fly that apparently did not contain the marker the converters were looking for...)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem, and I'm so glad you put up this post as I thought I must have done someting wrong. The error box gives you two options: "OK", which takes you to the MS website to download the same converter file already installed, or 'Cancel', which stops the conversion. Closing the error box has no effect.

In fact after checking some postings via the MS newsgroups I've discovered that early Beta file versions aren't supported by the converters which only cover Beta 2 technical refresh.
    See here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/...&sloc=en-us
    The most frustrating part is that the file I'm trying to convert is from an early Office 2007 Beta for which there are no converters!

Howwever, there is now a version 1 converter that should convert 2007 Release versions of Word documents in .docx format here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

If you're trying to convert Beta 2 technical refresh documents the converters are currently here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...converter.mspx

The file conversion utility might well be updated again but it might be worth checking what version Office 2007 Beta these files were made in. For the moment it seems the best option is to ask the author to resave in Word 1997-2003 version.

It would be nice if Microsoft were to create converters for any Beta or release version of Office or Word 2007, but I guess life ain't like that...

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks

It should be possible to extract out the text, at least, since it's a zipped collection of XML files. Or perhaps if you unzip it to a folder and point Word at whatever appears to be the main file, it can do a reasonable interpretation using IE components. I don't really know.

The following site seems to be the place to watch for tools and other developments around these file formats: http://openxmldeveloper.org/

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have NOT had any problems with any DOCX files using these converters.
    These converters are for DOCX files not XML as far as I can tell.

Have a look at How to open and to save Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007 files in earlier versions of Office

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

The problem I had arose from a programmatically generated DOCX file posted on the "Doug's World" blog. I assume it will open fine in Word 2007. The problem was that apparently it lacks some kind of flag that allows the converter to convert it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

It seems that the latest Office Compatibility Pack, now at version 2.0, is still unable to open .docx files from early Beta release versions of Word 2007, though there is a workaround for Excel and Powerpoint. This problem is documented here: <!mskb=926054>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 926054<!/mskb>

It's incredible that MS can't create something that will convert .docx files into Word 2003, 2000 etc versions. Their only advice is to contact the document author and ask them to resave it in an earlier file fomat like Word 2003.

The latest converter is here

Any chance of someone posting up a test .docx file in the official retail release version so we can test if we're "2007 ready" with our old version of Word? That we we'd know whether to keep telling people with Word 2007 to save in Word 2003, or "no problem I've got a file converter".

Cheers

Colin