Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Send meeting rquest to BCC list (Outlook 2003 SP2)

I have a need to send meeting requests to a few thousand people (internal to my company, no SPAM here), and I want to put all the attendees into the BCC list rather than in the To or CC list, so that they don't see each others email addresses, and to reduce the size of the email when it arrives.

Is it possible to do this, and if so how?

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Send meeting rquest to BCC list (Outlook 2003 SP2)

Sure, but you need to have one addressee on the TO line (which can be the sender), and Outlook may take a while to populate the BCC field if the employee list is substantial. Start a new message and click the BCC button. Select the source address list(s) (you will have to select from each one if there are multiples), click the first item, scroll to the bottom, shift click the last, OK out.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that is exactly the process I use when sending messages to this distribution list.

But how do I send meeting requests?

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, Stuart. I hate it when I don't read the question carefully. Native Outlook meeting requests don't have any BCC capability. Invitees can be Required, Optional or Resource, but BCCs are not possible without a custom form. I think you could send a message with an attached Appointment (using Insert Item) which users can open, select 'Save and Close', and will then be placed in their Calendar. I tested this only by sending an appointment to myself.
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

This is where not giving you the full details of the situation is my downfall.

I maintain (and protect) the distribution list that I referred to.

Someone else sends these invites and wants access to my distribution list, they currently send a standard meeting request to a few hundred people and this creates huge emails, with everyone's email address exposed. I don't think I can get them to send standard emails with the meeting request added as an attachment, although I have made this suggestion - so I was hoping that I could get them to just move the addressees to the BCC list. Sounds like I'm out of luck.

StuartR

Thanks

Re: Send meeting rquest to BCC list (Outlook 2003

I know nothing about templates, but could one be created that will use a distribution list in the BCC field?
    If so, could you send the original request to yourself (using a specific alias) and have a rule forward it on using that template?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart, as noted in the links in <post#=582,998>post 582,998</post#>, the main page of a meeting request form cannot be customized (3rd bullet under "How Do Microsoft Outlook Forms Work?"

By taking the form in design mode I quickly tested a customization of the form by adding a BCC field to the second page of the form and saving (publishing) it in my Personal Forms Library, then sending it on a test basis only to me at home. The good news is that the BCC field worked from the sending end, with my home email address on the TO line (which is also how it would appear in a message to a BCC addressee). I encountered some strangeness in that the BCC invitee also ended up on the subject line, but that was easily edited and corrected before I sent the invitation.

Perhaps you can perform the final test, with more than one invitee on the BCC line, to see if they see each others names on the TO line. Let us know how it works.
    UTC -7ąDS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

That is very helpful, thank you.

I will need to set aside some time to work on this, as I actually need to enable someone else to send these meeting requests to my distribution list, I will post back when I have done some testing, but that won't be for a while yet.

Pity there isn't a straightforward solution.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After much experimenting.

It looks as though I can get what I want by adding the BCC list as "resource (room or equipment)". If the meeting location is blank then this is entered as the location as well, otherwise it isn't.

Do you know of any downside to doing it this way?

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I used the normal meeting request form. On the scheduling tab, after entering an email address, there is a drop down box that selects between
    Required / Optional / Resource (room or equipment)

I noticed that Optional attendees are sent as CC, so I just guessed that maybe resource invitations would go as BCCs - and it seems to work fine!

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

>Do you know of any downside to doing it this way?

Stuart, I'm not even clear on what you did! How did you set the BCCs as Resources?
    UTC -7ąDS