2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reserving A Drive

I've got a situation where I occasionally need to reserve the H: and I: drives for dialup network conections to the network at work. Obviously, I only map these if I actually need to connect. The problem is that I've also got a USB card reader that wants to use the same drives at startup. Is there a way I can hide these drives from the USP device, but use them for my network connection? I looked through the properties for the USB devices hoping to find a way to tell it which drive letters to use, but to no avail.

Thanks.

ileacy

Re: Reserving A Drive

None that I know of. From what I could find out, the function of specifying a fixed or initial drive mapping for USB devices would have to be a property supported by the USB device driver.

I just spent some time going through this in preparation for using some new external USB devices.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In most network worlds we would make ALL of the networked mapped drives to be "M" and higher. This allowed the local machine have use of most of the other letters. There was one excption and it was H for the HOME drive. But this was controled by the NT server. Of course we did NOT have many of the new local types of drives, all we had were 2 hard drives, 1 floppy and 1 cd player. which by default is "a & b" floppy, "c & d" hard drives and "e" as the CD.
    Hope this will help.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

ileacy

Thinking about this a bit more.

USB is generally hot swap, so the card reader could probably removed when the dial up connection is required. Only risk is to make sure any applications using the USB device are stopped *before* the device is removed.

Talking about networks reminds me of the problems with persistent connections. I ended up creating batch files with "NET USE" commands to set up connections which were not established in the login process. Saved a *lot* of typing over the years.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is not a solution but this may interest you about assigning a drive letter to a device.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/index.html>http://www.v72735.f2s.com/LetAssig/index.html</A>