Thread: XLM File (03)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

XLM File (03)

I need clarification on how a file determines the need to download the latest version of the XLM file.

Example:
    If I distribute a file which uses the XLM file as an add-in and want to modify the XLM file at a later date (perhaps a month later and then again two months later), how does the code work to determine which version to use? I expect the XLM file needs to be placed on a shared drive which the EndUser does not know about.

I am revisiting the XLM functionality for distribution.

Thanks,
    John

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XLM File (03)

Hi John,

I'm not sure I understand your question.

XLM stands for Excel Macro (version 4 of excel). Must we assume you meant XML?

With the VBA FileDateTime function you can determine the last save time and date of a file (but only when it isn't an Excel file that's open, otherwise you'll see the current date&time). Is that what you're after?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XLM File (03)

Jan,

I stand corrected it is a XLM file. Say I give someone an Excel file that uses a XLM file that contains code: file attached as an add-in. And then a month later and then two months after that I change the code in the XLM file. How does the Excel file know how to pull down the latest version of the XLM file and replace the current add-in?

Under this senario, I have placed the XLM file on a shared drive. One would think upon the EndUser opening the file the code would check the shared drive for a different version and if found replace the current add-in.

Is this the concept or am I missing something? And the code would be: ?.

Thanks,
    John