5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Video to TV (XP Home SP2)

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I just got a new LCD TV and want it to display photos from my Notebook. When I connected the two via an s-video cable the TV showed my Windows screen in black and white! The s-video cable is OK because it works fine between the cable box and TV. Any idea where I start to debug this? Would I have better luck using the VGA connection?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Video to TV (XP Home SP2)

You have to connect your computer to VGA input for use your TV as a computer or game monitor.

Use composite (RCA), or better, DVI or HDMI inputs to connect cable box, satellite box, DVD player and VHS recorder to your TV. Use F-type (75-ohm cable) input only if you have no other choice. Avoid to use s-video input - it is outdated and can be used only for legacy devices.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I too have a similar issue with my video card.
    After getting a LCD HD tv I installed a second video card with vga, video out and S-video out, as there is an occasional need for a large screen for video editing. It was an older card that I had in the component box.
    The vga output to the TV is the best. Video out to the TV is not as sharp an image. S-video out to the TV is black and white and fuzzy.
    You should stick with vga. You can acquire a simple vga splitter duplicate the monitor screen on the TV.
    Of course if you update to a second or replacement video card, one with DVI or HDMI would be preferred.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a 4-yr old notebook, with video on the motherboard. It has both s-video and VGA output connectors. I tried the s-video because I had a spare cable available. I will get a VGA cable at my local CompUSA. I'm still curious why the s-video appears in black and white on the TV, since s-video supports color.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The only reference I found concerning the black and white condition can be found at:
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/archive.../t-102880.html

The reason that you are only getting a B&W picture is because the adapter that you are using is only connecting the luminence, and not the chrominance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info and the link. I'm still puzzled. My TV is new, with an s-video input connector. When you say the "adapter" do you mean the s-video cable, or the s-video output from the laptop? The cable is fine, as stated in my original post, because I can connect it between TV and Comcast cable box and get color TV.
    Can the laptop put out an s-video signal without the chrominance? Possible, but hard to believe.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

From http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html :

"A typical problem that causes black and white video instead of color is incomatible video standards on the signal source and the receiver."

For example, see 7 Pin S-Video Pinout and Apple S-Video Pinout.
    Take a look at 4-pin s-video pinout also.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reply to all

Problem solved. Got a VGA cable and my photos look great on the LCD. Interesting discovery. My laptop has both a VGA and s-video outputs. When I went into video display properties/advanced I found three options for displays: Monitor, Panel, TV , each of which must be enabled to work. It turns out that TV refers to s-video and should not be enabled. Monitor (as in external monitor) refers to VGA, , and must be enabled to communicate with the TV. I just love the techie terminology!
    As for the s-video, there was certainly a mismatch between the PC and TV connectors, as kaplinb suggested.
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.
    Howard