5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to access certain areas (IE 7)

A friend has Internet Explorer 7. She likes to go to her hometown newspaper (www.daily-chronicle.com) and look at sections like obituaries and the "neighbors". But when she tries - she gets an error message that says Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. She is then given the option to send the error report. What could be causing this problem.

Thanks

Re: Unable to access certain areas (IE 7)

My guess would be a plug-in or out of date ActiveX control, such as Java, Flash, or a streaming media player. Older versions might not be fully compatible with IE7.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I also thought that might be the problem. So I tried to access the site with IE 6 on one of my computers. No problem. So I had my friend uninstall IE 7 and try again. No luck - did not get an error message but the moment she would click on one of the sections, IE 6 would totally close.

I noticed that when I went to the OBIT section, there was a change in the internet address, so I copied it and sent it to her by email. When she clicked on the URL, it opened to the proper section of the site. Then while surfing there, she clicked on other sections and they also worked. So we have put this address in her favorites and she opens the site using that.

Any idea why that would work but not the direct URL?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect that Jefferson's suggestion that the add-ons may need updating is correct.

When I first installed the beta version of IE7 I was getting immediate shut downs similar to your friend's situation. Research indicated that add-ons were probably the cause. At the time, I did not have time to test the theory and decided to uninstall the beta version and await the final release.

When the final release came, I updated all my add-ons in IE6 and then installed IE7. Everything worked like a charm.

I went to your friend's hometown newspaper and was able to go to many areas, including the obits and "neighbors" without any issues in IE7.

So, perhaps, she can determine which add-ons are used and seek out any updates before reinstalling IE7.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is the "Phishing" protection kicking in. One needs to look for the banner which one can right click and set the settings for that site. Appears that she has blocked that site as a Phishing one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

<hr>Any idea why that would work but not the direct URL?<hr>
    The link takes a slightly circuitous route:

First stop: standard HTML link to http://www.daily-chronicle.com/obituaries/

Second stop: meta refresh to http://www.legacy.com/Daily-Chronicle/Obituaries.asp

If IE7 is configured to refuse to follow meta refresh tags (IE6's custom security settings had Enable/Disable options for META REFRESH), I would expect the browser to just sit there. So perhaps Dave's suspicion is correct that some filter is hypersensitive to "invisible" navigation. What a hassle to debug, though. How are you supposed to know why the browser shuts down? Sheesh.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It appears tonight, we discovered same problem & it too appears in phishing area. on son's computer winxp pro IE7 was just updated/downloaded to IE7. Son can not now get onto sites he regularly uses. bancobcr.com as example. What specific steps should he take to correct problem? none of us hi-tech. I still have IE6 on both my computers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

What do you mean by the same problem? If this is a phishing issue the browser should not shut down. You should just get a warning which you have to answer to get to the site. I have no problem getting to bancobcr.com in IE7. I'd check any IE add-ons - Tools | Manage Add-ons - disabling all, then re-enabling one at a time until you identify the culprit. Once identified you should visit the vendor and see if there is an update for IE7.

Joe
    Joe