New Lounger
    Thanks

ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR

Can two separate ai docs be merged together or can you import a pdf file into an Illustrator file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The answer to both questions is yes, but there are limitations. To merge one AI file with another, first open the AI file you want to copy. Make sure that the layers you want to copy are visable and unlocked. Go to Select>All and then Edit>Copy. Open the document you are merging to and create a new layer making sure all other layers are locked. Select Edit>Paste and the image you are merging will be pasted onto that layer and can be resized and manipulated according to your needs. Note that if you had several layers in the initial image, they will be one layer in the merged image. If you want to retain the layers, you'll have to move the paths individually to a new layer, or you can copy and paste a layer at a time from your initial document using the same method.

In the case of PDF's, Illustrator treats each page as an Object and in the preview window you can select which page (or pages) you wish to copy into the new document. You will lose all paths and the page is treated as a single image, so you lose the ability to manipulate paths although the image can be resized. It's like using a Symbol.

The important thing to note here is that as your layers increase, so does your file size. Thus, if you are working on a complex large image it will take a long time to load and save. A lot of the images I work on are quite large (around 5000 to 20,000 pixels wide) and in order to avoid the annoyance of long load and save times I work in sub assemblies. As each sub-section is completed, it's saved as a flattened AI file and then merged with the main image which in turn reduces the number of layers in the main image. The original sub-assembly drawing is saved as an unflattened image in case I find the need to edit that part at a later date. Hope that helps!