Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using a check box to trigger an autosort (2003 SP2

Hi all

I've created a simple to-do list in Excel that re-sorts automatically, triggered by a change in some columns. And there lies my problem...

The columns that do *not* trigger a change contain either drop-down lists or a check box for "Complete" status (and each check box's corresponding "TRUE" or "FALSE" in the adjoining cell). If I change the cell contents in any of the other columns (i.e. with the keyboard, cut, paste, etc.), the sort is triggered perfectly. But making a drop-down box selection or changing a check box won't do it (BTW: I have used "form" check boxes rather than "control" check boxes, as I am not a programming type, and found these easy to implement).

I'd be very grateful indeed if anyone could suggest to me what I need to do so that making a drop-down list selection or changing a check box's state will also trigger the autosort - I have attached the code that is attached to the worksheet (i.e. not a macro).

And while we're at it, can anyone suggest why conditional formatting works strangely when its condition is the "TRUE / FALSE" associated with the check box. If I select the formula to be checked as an absolute reference (e.g. $g$2), it works fine - but if that row changes position, the source of the conditional format will then be wrong. And if I select it as a variable reference, only some of the cells take on the conditional formatting.

Here's the code (the check boxes are in column F and the TRUE/FALSE in column G):

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Range("A:G").Sort Key1:=Range("G2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=Range("e2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key3:=Range("b2"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _
    DataOption1:=xlSortNormal

I also tried doing this check for changes to values in the check boxes or their TRUE/FALSE values using this:

If Target.Column <> 7 Then Exit Sub

Changing the target column value to any of the other columns worked fine - so I guess it operates on text changes only???

Thanks & best regards

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using a check box to trigger an autosort (2003 SP2

Can you attach a small sample workbook? The data may be fake.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using a check box to trigger an autosort (2003

Hans

I should have thought to attach it to my original post. After a closer look, I've found that changing the "Priority" drop-down list selection (which is a sorting criteria) does trigger the sort automatically - it's just the check box & its result that don't. The "Re-sort" button at the bottom is connected to a macro that is a duplicate of the code in the worksheet - to get around my little problem.

As always, very grateful for your help.

Very best regards

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could assign the Sort macro to each of the check boxes (right-click a check box, select Assign macro from the popup menu, select ...!Sort, click OK).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

Once again, you've saved the day!

May I stretch a friendship and put two more questions to you?

1. I have tried applying conditional formatting on each row so that it changes appearance if marked "complete" - but clearly I'm doing something wrong. What sort of condition do I need to be testing for If I want to do this based on the contents of the true / false cell?

2. I'm always trying to learn to do this stuff better: can you suggest any simple change that would allow this to work using just one copy of the macro, rather than 2? Not a big deal, but always good to know,

Many thanks again

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. Select rows 2 through 19 (or as far down as needed). Cell A2 should now be the active cell within the selection.
    Select Format | Conditional Formatting...
    Select 'Formula Is' from the dropdown.
    Type <code>=$G2</code> in the box next to it.
    Click Format... and set the formatting you want.
    Click OK (twice).

2. You can call the Sort macro in the Worksheet_Change event procedure of the Action List sheet:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Call Sort
    End Sub

If you change the code in Sort, the Worksheet_Change event will automatically use the modified code.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

That's got it - another excellent learning exercise for me!

Thanks and best regards

Neil