Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word time trip

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word time trip

Okay - this is just creepy. I have a Word file that I have been making dated entries into about 2 or 3 times a month since last September - about seven pages in all. My last entry was January 13. I opened the file tonight and found that the last entry was dated in October - on page 2. The end. There was no more. In fact, the actual file date is 10/8/00. I know the file was there. I printed several pages of it last month. But now it's as if it never existed. (Jeez, I don't FEEL insane...)

I've checked for other versions, other directories, etc. This IS (was) the file. I'll be grateful for any help on THIS one.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word time trip

Hello, Keith.

Sometimes it pays to not be good at housekeeping... but I doubt my hubby would agree.[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

First, in Word, if you've set for timed backups at Tools / Options / Save, you should find it as Journal.wbk (or .bak in older versions of Word) in the directory where the file is (was?).

If not, lets say the name of your file is Journal.doc. You just may get lucky if the circumstances were correct and a temporary backup copy was created by Word and not subsequently deleted. That's a lot of "ifs," but here goes...

On the taskbar, right click and choose Find. Search the entire c: drive (or all hard drives if you are partitioned) for ~*.doc files. You [i]may[/] get lucky and have one called ~$_ournal.doc ... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] or you may not.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
    Karen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Keith,

*just* in case.

It's possible something got corrupted, and Word can't see it. Try using notepad to open the doc, and see if there's your original text in there somewhere.

Certainly, I'm not the right person to talk about taking backups from now on[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No such luck, Karen. Nothing there. (Does this mean I'm ...neat?) I've never lost PART of a file before, especially one that actually reverted to an earlier version. I know it's the same file because I've accessed it through the same desktop shortcut for months. What the heck happened here?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Definitely try Geoff's suggestion in this thread. You must be "neat" if you've come here looking for answers... [img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]

As to what happened... I'm afraid you may never know. It could be that Word restored a previous autorestore after you'd made changes and printed, but I doubt it.

Probably the better chance is as Geoff [img]/w3timages/icons/clever.gif[/img] indicated and some portion of the file is corrupted.
    Karen

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't suppose you have tracked revisions or been playing with the Versions control.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was probably trying the notepad thing while you were writing your reply, Karen. No luck there either. (Thanks anyway, Geoff. It was an interesting angle.) I think you're right, Karen. I'll probably never know. Wierd.

But I WILL be listening to my own preaching from now on and doing regular backups. I'm just glad this happened at home and not at the office.[img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice thought, Andrew. I'm not that smart OR that lucky.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you click the taskbar, press F3, search your hard drive for:

1)all files (*.*) that have been created or modified within a certain time frame [where you last think you made an entry]

2)all files that have cetain text (something you know you entered

It may take some time, but at least you'll know if it's somewhere on your hard drive as a temp file or something.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could check that you do not have files hidden. This is the default. Double click My Computer click view/options and select the View tab then make sure Show all files is selected.

If you had to change it, after clicking OK etc. try Karen's tip again.

Also try finding parts of the file name in case it got the name changed a bit.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas. Alas, I'm resigned to the fact that the file (most of it) is gone. I would just like to understand what Twilight Zone thing happened here.
    - I KNOW that the file I'm looking at is the one and only
    - I know that I updated it on 1/13/01
    - I know that there were 7 pages
    - I know that when I looked at it two days later, it was dated 10/8/00 and was only 2 pages long - no corruption, no bad stuff at all - just a very nice EARLIER VERSION that hasn't existed in that form in months.[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]

I'd like to figure out what happened - or get on the right medication.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Please don't take offense, but this is a problem we have here at work with some users...

Are you sure you hit the save icon / menu option? This would do exactly what you're describing (provided that Oct 18 was the last date prior to your Jan 13 modifications).

Again, please don't take offense, but this is what it sounds like (I've done it myself).
    Christopher Baldrey

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No offense taken, certainly. Wish it was that simple, but the previous update was two days prior. As a matter of fact, last month I had a hard copy of the first five pages (what I wouldn't give...)[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

georgette

OK... looks like the file is gone... booo!

By chance do you have a paper copy of it??? If so, scan it using OCR software to "recreate" the file and save it in a few places!

Good Luck, Georgette

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with the OCR approach, but not the "save in a few places". Unless of course you're going to update each copy, each time the file is edited.

I don't know about everyone else, but updating more than 1 copy (ie. the original and the backup) can get to be a bother.
    Christopher Baldrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast