Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate Personal Folder files (Outlook Basic 2003)

Having copied outlook.pst from my desktop to my laptop, I now find that Outlook on the laptop displays both my Personal Folders and my Contacts in triplicate. This is despite the fact that the program is only pointed at just one .pst file. The Personal Folders seem to be absolute replicas of each other; when I move a subfolder in one of them, for instance, the change happens in the others two as well. The Contacts are also shown in triplicate, and this seems to prevent the automatic-addressing function when writing new emails, which is really the only reason it matters. None of the Microsoft tutorials help, and the problem persists even after uninstalling and reinstalling Office in its entirety. Any tips?

Thanks

Re: Duplicate Personal Folder files (Outlook Basic

You might try creating a new profile. If you close Outlook and use the "Mail" Control Panel (Start button > Settings > Control Panel > Mail), one of the options is Show Profiles. Here you can add a new profile and set it up with a single copy of your PST. Unfortunately, you also have to re-enter your email account settings. But it might be worth it if the current situation is driving you crazy and there is no actual fix for it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jscher2000, sorted!

Thanks

I came on this morning to ask advice about a similar problem with Outlook, except that mine is happening with my e-mail.
    I had 5 personal folders, and was able to "close" 3 of them now I only have 2. They are identical in content. I went into the profiles and deleted one of them, and now in order to see my contacts, tasks, calendar, I have to right click and "open in new window" my e-mail shows and works just fine as does Outlook today. Me thinks I screwed up. Resolution?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounger
    Thanks

I said Outlook, but my problem was with email too, and jscher's advice worked for me. Sorry I can't help with your other problem tho...

Thanks

I am pretty sure that I found what was causing this. I save my .pst files from my laptop to a shared folder on my PC, then share that folder to my Maxtor backup hard drive. After I import the pst files from my laptop from the shared folder, I then export the pst files from my PC to another folder. I do this because the e-mails and contacts are different for the two computers and that way I have a complete data base of both systems should something every happen. By doing this I think I confused outlook. Guess I will have to find a better way to do this.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Off-topic: your new user picture is distorted because the Lounge resizes it to 65 (wide) x 75 (high). The original is wider than it is high, so the picture gets stretched.
    Here is a distortion-free version.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

... or ...

Thanks

thanks Hans
    Thanks John