Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Query Help (2003)

I have a query. The fields are Client Number, Group Number, Market Status.
    There are some records that have different Client Numbers with the same group numbers. So client 111 can have a group number of 25 and client 112 can have a group number of 25. The difference between them is one has a Market Status of 2(cancelled) and one has a Market Status of 100 (Active). I need to get rid of the one that has a Market Status of 2 (cancelled) and keep the one that has a Market Status of 100 (active). I also have the same scenario but both groups have a Market status of 2. For those I need to keep either one but get rid of the other. I think this is more like a delete query or any suggestions on how to do this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query Help (2003)

Is it possible that there are two Client Numbers with the same Group Number, both having Market Status 100? If so, what should happen with them - keep both?

Lounger
    Thanks

No, just the two scenarios. Two different client numbers with the same group number - one is active (100) and one is cancelled (2). Two different client numbers with the same group number - both are cancelled.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can use a series of queries for this. See the attached database.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have another idea but don't know how to implement it. If I use qryDup from Han's example database. First i would sort group number ascending and then I would sort Market Status descending. This is where I need help - I need another column to give me a running count of clients per group. Then I would put =1 in that column and it should give me just the first one of each set of group numbers. How would I set up a running count column?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the queries but I think it is deleting the duplicate client numbers. There can be duplicate client numbers - client numbers are not unique, but the group numbers are supposed to be unique except in the situations described. I want to delete the duplicate group numbers - When a group number appears twice, it will have different client numbers. Those client numbers can also be for other groups too. When a group appears twice one can be cancelled and one can be active or both can be cancelled. If one is cancelled and one is active, I want to delete the one that is cancelled (2). If one is cancelled and the other is cancelled too, I want to delete either one - it doesn't matter. I don't know if I am confusing this.

I am finding that the data is even more confusing. What it boils down to is if a group number appears more than once, I want the one that is active (100). If a group number appears more than once (even 3 times) and has 2(cancelled) for the group numbers - I just want one of those - it doesn't matter which one if they all are cancelled. There can only be one group number no matter how many times it appears. In a group of three like group numbers, I want the active. A group number cannot have more than one active (100). Most of the data contains unique group numbers. The client numbers are not unique.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you provide information about the structure of the relevant table(s)? If possible, post a stripped down and zipped copy of your database

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just used your database as an example. In the query, I just need a column that does a running count of client numbers per group. I sorted the group number field in ascending order and the status field in descending order. So I should get a 1 2 3 or however many number of clients per group number. I would put a 1 in that field and it should just give me one group number either active (100) or cancelled (2).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To be able to determine which records to delete, you need a unique identifier. I added an AutoNumber field ID to the table.
    The attached modified version hopefully does what you want. Create a backup copy before trying it out, so that you can test multiple times.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess what I want to do can't be done in an Access query but just in a report. I thought you could create another column in the query to do a running count on client number for group number. I have to do it on the whole table not just the query. Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Doesn't the delete query in the database I attached do what you want? If not, please explain what it fails to do.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe I don't understand what it is doing. I need to use the whole table not just where the groups are >1. I will work with it on my data to see if it works. I will get back to you. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After running the delete query, each group number should occur only once in the table - duplicates are deleted, while group numbers that already were unique are left alone. I thought that was what you wanted.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like what I want. There are 224,304 records in the table and the query was taking so long I ended it. It may have to run overnight.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The query runs slowly because it uses Not In (...). This is not very efficient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast