Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple login sections on one site? (VB.Net 2)

I have been designing several add-on style pieces for sites that I have been creating (asp.net 2.0, vb)... for example, a database driven javascript news scroller, a web-based e-mail newsletter app, a paypal-based database-driven shopping cart app, etc. For the most part, these are based in sql server, though one or two are access-based (I am eventually developing both versions for all applications)

I have so far developed each one of thse add-ons indiviudally, and have encountered a problem when trying to implement more than one of them on the same site. I am using forms authentication to verify user credentials against the database... which forwards unauthenticated requests to *one* login.aspx page. This is done in the root-level web.config file, and moving the authentication tag out of the root-level config file is not allowed.

I hope I am correct in assuming that there is a way to authenticate against different sets of user names and passwords for different sections of the site.

I had considered combining all login information into one table and assigning different roles for the different sections of the site, but somehow this does not seem like the best solution.

Any help is appreciated, hopefully in my informal .net training I have missed something that will be of use [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple login sections on one site? (VB.Net 2

Hi Lancer,

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Is there any reason you wouldn't want to treat each separate sub-site as its own application (by placing a separate web.config in each sub-folder and by creating an application for each in IIS)?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multiple login sections on one site? (VB.Net 2

Actually, that is a good call. I'm not responsible for most of the configuration and hosting, so I am in the dark when it comes to IIS and such. I noticed that trying to move the authentication tag out of the root level gives an error talking about how it is not legal to configure such an option past the application level, which would then mean that I would have to create sub-sites as separate applications... which would let me authenticate separately. I think you are correct, it's something I haven't ran into yet [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    I will probably give that a shot tomorrow and see if I run into any config troubles along the way.