Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible attachments (Various)

I send an email with an attachment. The recipient replies "you forgot the attachment". But I didn't. Happens intermittently.

I've found all sorts of references to this and similar problems in WOPR, and it seems the problem is at the recipient's end. Is there a Microsoft article I can refer the recipient to, telling them what they need to do to fix their problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Invisible attachments (Various)

Is it always the same recipient? Is the recipient in a different organization? The recipient's e-mail software could be configured to delete attachments of a certain type or the attachments could be identified as SPAM, or containing a virus. It could be blocked at a firewall.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Are particular file extensions (e.g., MDB) affected? If so, could be mail client or gateway attachment blocking/stripping.

Are particular message formats (e.g., RTF) affected? If so, could be a problem decoding the message on the receiving end.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The problem occurs intermittently, and I don't usually get any hint as to why (as it's on someone else's computer). There are no patterns that I've been able to identify --- has happened with Word 2003 docs, Outlook attachments (eg, a contact's details), etc. Sometimes happens for one recipient but not another.

I assume it's a problem at the recipient's end, which is why I was hoping I could point the recipient to a Microsoft article which might help them.

ADDDED
    On one occasion, the recipient received it at their work address, but not at their home address. At the home address there was no icon indicating an attachment. I asked them to forward my original email back to me as an attachment. On receipt, I could see and access the attachments. This seems to prove that it's there problem.

My question is, what can I tell them to do to fix their problem.

Thanks

If the recipient uses Outlook Express at home, it could be the attachment blocking feature. Here's an article that describes this in more detail: Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in Outlook Express After You Install SP1 @ MSKB.

Administrator
    Thanks

What e-mail client are the recipients usuing? Do they have an on-site mail server (what product) ?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Was there a resolution to this problem? I'd like to know as I have a similar problem.

In a branch office, all users share the same email address. They all use Outlook 2000. One user sends attachments (small files in word or excel) and some recipients receive, others dont. Other users in the same office (with the same email address, and 'supposedly' the same Outlook set up) send the same attachments and the recipients receive. One recipient most affected (user's supervisor - located in different branch office) uses same Outlook 2000 setup.

I can find info that relates some of these issues to Word as editor, and have had the user change these, but problem remains.

Administrator
    Thanks

Are the recipients external? What mail server is used? Could any of the senders have setup rules that would be a problem?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I thought about those issues. The fact that others in the same office using the same email address can send the same attachments via the same ISP and mail server makes me think that it is the settings on the one computer.

Maybe I need to go for a drive and do a setting by setting check. (It has rained a little here and the paddocks have become a bit green)

Administrator
    Thanks

Seems like an outing is in order.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.