Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE7-WXP INSTALL (IE7 WINXP2)

I deleted IE6 from add-remove programs in control panel. I then installed IE7. After installation was complete, the first panel that came up was a property panel that displays the settings for the default first page, then browsing history, search, and tabs. It is labelled "internet properties". Clicking it off provides a blank screen. If one runs outlook and picks a page reference to the web, IE works fine and normally. But I can't find any way to eliminate that perperty panel. What am I missing?

Phil

Thanks

Re: IE7-WXP INSTALL (IE7 WINXP2)

Phil,
    You should be able to type in a web address there if that's what you want but this is direct from the help page for this subject:
    --------------------------------------------------------
    To set the current webpage as the home page

To make the webpage you're currently on your home page, follow these steps.

If you have not already done so, open Internet Explorer and go to the page you want to use as the home page.
    Click the arrow to the right of the Home button , and then click Add or Change home page.
    In the Add or Change Home Page dialog box, do one of the following:
    To make the current webpage your only home page, click Use this webpage as your only home page.
    To start a home page tab set or to add the current webpage to your set of home page tabs, click Add this webpage to your home page tabs.
    To replace your existing home page or home page tab set with the webpages you currently have open, click Use the current tab set as your home page. This option will only be available if you have more than one tab open in Internet Explorer.
    Click Yes to save your changes.
    To reset the home page to the default

To reset the home page to the one that was used when Internet Explorer was first installed, follow these steps.

Open Internet Explorer.
    Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the General tab.
    Click Use default to replace your current home page with the one that was used when you first installed Internet Explorer.
    Click OK to save your changes.
    Note

If you do not want any home page to be opened when Internet Explorer starts, click Use Blank in step 4 above. You might want to have a blank home page if you frequently work offline and are not connected to the Internet when you open Internet Explorer.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

inHi Bob:
    I can set the current webpage as you describe on a property screen that comes up when you activate IE7. The problem is that there is no way that I can find to get rid of that property screen and get a normal start screen. Setting the default first screen has no effect because that property screen upon which you change the initial screen always remains in view no matter what initial page you select. The screen that you select even shows on the web address line - but the actual screen does not change away from the property screen. There must be some control that hides that screen but I cannot find it. I have erased IE7 on the "add-remove programs" screen on the control panel and reinstalled; that had no effect. If I get onto IE from an email reference, everything works normally. It's just that the normal opening screen never shows; only that property screen so it is impossible to initiate a web address from ta normal opening IE7 screen in the normal way.
    Another thing of possible interest is that it makes no difference whether you set the initial sceen to default, blank, or current. There is never a change.

Another thing of interest is that IE7 worked normally until I had a disk failure in the disk containing the operating system. The failure was something very drastic because chkdsk claimed that all sector were marked "dirty". I then installed a new disk, a clean xp install, and a clean office install. With that install, I got this peculiar performance. I had a disk image of disk "C" stored on another disk; that image was somehow reuined as a result of the fault on "C".

Perhaps this rambly diatribe will trigger your thoughts in some way. My apologies for my weak presentation in the initial question. I sure appreciate your help.

Phil

It's really a bummer.

Phil

Thanks

Phil,
    The one thing that sticks out in your post is: "I have erased IE7 on the "add-remove programs" screen on the control panel and reinstalled"
    If I'm reading that right, just erasing the item in AddRemove, doesn't do much except remove the listing for the Uninstall feature of that particular program. You should have used AddRemove to remove IE 7 itself. This would have given you the opportunity to revert back to IE 6.

Just why the properties screen keeps coming back is a puzzler but there must be remnants of some things that are confusing Windows itself.

I think as long as you have just the basic system installed at this time, I would do a true CLEAN ( not a repair ) install of Windows. This will blow away the existing partition and start out with a new and fresh install package.

Boot to your XP CD and click on the place where it says install a NEW copy of Windows XP. Continue with the new install and then install SP 2 and all hotfixes from WIndows update. Then install IE 7. Then Office.

A lot of work I know but????
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!