New Lounger
    Thanks

mail server host

I run a small, cute web site from where I send 6,000 newsletters every week (all by optional visitor subscription; NO spam). I have been using a simple Perl script which calls the web host's sendmail command to send the newsletters. Apparently I have exceeded their capabilities.

So I am looking for alternatives. I refuse to use a service like yahoo's mail list service or any other which inserts their ads or messages in my newsletter.

I have found other software, like listserv, which will charge me a million dollars to send my newsletters. I do not have a million dollars (or whatever they might charge).

Anybody got any reasonable alternatives?

Thanks,

HMC
    BBHQ.COM

Thanks

Re: mail server host

I very much doubt you have exceeded your web host's capabilities. But perhaps you have exceeded them at the price point of your service. Do they offer an upgrade? That obviously involves the least hassle for you.

You also could consider alternative hosting; there must be many moderately priced alternatives that support Perl and provide SendMail access. Perhaps 1&1?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. For whatever reason, I can no longer send or receive mail. Their solution is to acquire a dedicated server. Again, a million dollars a month. I cannot afford that.

Switching hosts is an extremely time-consuming task. I have done so 4-5 times in the last decade. Each host has been worse than the last one. I have no confidence that the next host will be any better than my present one.

Thanks

Perhaps the solution is to extract a mailing list from your web server and plug it in to a desktop "bulk mail" product to dispatch the newsletters. This is somewhat out of my area.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

For what it's worth, hubby has a dedicated server from The Planet, and we only pay $89/month for that. A quick glance at their website shows an even cheaper server for $69/month. I don't know tons about web hosting, but the interface for hubby's server is easy enough for me to understand a lot of it, and The Planet has really great customer service, which is nice.

https://www.servermatrix.com/index.html?p=home

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks; their basic description does not mention software (Php, perl, MySql, SSI capability, etc.) available with the server, and does not explain specifically what "pre-configured" entails, etc. But I'll check it out in more detail.

I am currently paying $29 a month. So, an extra $40 a month, plus the unknowns, still does not sound very attractive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I asked hubby, and he's running Red Hat Linux on his server with the Plesk control panel, and that gives him the capability to use all the software you mention. However, if you had a Windows operating system installed on the server, it might be a bit more complicated to use some of them. I'm sure The Planet would be happy to answer your questions though--like I mentioned earlier, they have great customer service.

Also, part of the reason that the $89 isn't bad is that we host a website for an organization that pays us $30 a month, so that takes care of a good chunk of the fee. Of course, this means that if something happens to the server (it's been hacked into twice in the last couple months), then hubby has to spend some time taking care of it, but at least for this organization, customer support hasn't been too bad. (It helps when the person designing the website actually has some technical skills!)