Lounger
    Thanks

Figure &Table Numbering across multiple documents (all)

I have about 8-10 documents that will make up my final report. For various reasons, I cannot merge them into a single document. I want the Tables, Figures, Equations, pagination to be continuous across the entire report. I want headings to begin with the chapter number eg 5.3.2
    1. PAGES
    I have tried (from various threads) versions of
    {={PAGE} + {INCLUDETEXT "c:subdirectorychap1.doc BK !}}

where BK is a bookmark created in chap1.doc to refer to {NumPages}
    It works - up to a point.

In Chap 2, I add the number of pages in Chap 1 to the current page number
    In Chap 3, I add the number of pages in chap1 + number of pages in chap 2 + current page number
    etc
    In Chap 10, add number pages in Chap 1 + number in Chap 2 + ... + number in Chap 9 + current page number.

I can see this getting out of hand.
    Is there some way I can access in Chapter 9 (say) the last printed page number from Chapter 8 without having to access the number of pages in all the previous documents.

2. Figures (and Tables)
    At the moment I have Figure numbering (and Tables, and Equations) restarting at the beginning of each document. So there are 10 different "Figure 1" in the report.
    Is there something like NumPages that tells me the number of Figures in a document, so I can start the new document with the next number (in the same sort of way as the pages).

I also want to cross-reference Equations from other documents, but I think I can do this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Figure &Table Numbering across multiple documents (all)

If I had to do this then I would create and manage each chapter independently, accepting the fact that at this stage the numbering isn't correct. Then when you need to produce the final printed output:
    <UL><LI>Create a new folder to do the combining of all the documents
    <LI>Make a new copy of each chapter to this folder
    <LI>Create a new Master document and include each of the separate chapters into this as a sub-document
    <LI>Keep each of the original documents, and <big>never</big> edit the ones that you have incorporated into the master document[/list]StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Figure &Table Numbering across multiple docum

You can make life very hard for yourself with this methodology so I would suggest rethinking your plans and possibly including a Heading number in your page and figure numbering. Without doing this you will have a major problem with the page numbers in the TOC (which will still restart for each file) let alone the drama of ensuring the other things are correct, but if you absolutely need what you have asked...
    Page Numbering
    1. Put a hidden field on the last page of each document and bookmark it with the name LastPageNum. The contents of the field in Chap1.doc should be {NumPages}, in Chap2.doc it should be {={NumPages}+{INCLUDETEXT "Chap1.doc" "LastPageNum" !}}, In Chap3.doc it should be {={NumPages}+{INCLUDETEXT "Chap2.doc" "LastPageNum" !}} etc
    2. The footers should look very similar to this with the NumPages changed to Page

Figure Numbering
    1. You can do figure numbering in a similar way. I would add another hidden field at the end of each document with the contents {SEQ Figure * ARABIC c h}. I would bookmark this hidden field with a name such as LastFigure.
    2. With the first figure in each subsequent file you would modify the first figure number to look like {SEQ Figure * ARABIC r{INCLUDETEXT "Chap1.doc" "LastFigure" !}}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to include the heading number (Post: 466,443) but couldn't succesfully do it. So I have been working on the individual chapters and postponing the issue. Now I've hit it.
    If I go for a numbering system starting with the Chapter number, how do I do it. I couldn't get the numbers to change with different documents. Also with the appendices, I would need A1 or A2 for the prefix.
    Ruth

Super Moderator
    Thanks

To get the numbers to change with each document, the Heading 1 style should appear only once in each file. You will need to customise the numbering pattern for each document so that the Heading 1 that appears begins at a new number for each one. This is done by visiting the dialog under Format > Bullets and Numbering > Outline Numbered > Customize.

To get the heading number into the Page Numbering you can then use Insert > Page Numbers > Format. This will allow the paragraph numbering from the Heading 1 to be included in the TOC. To include the Heading numbering to be included in the Captions, check out the Numbering button in the Caption dialog.

With the Appendices, you may have to settle for an A, B, C type prefix rather than a A1, A2, A3 prefix although your heading numbers could include a prefix like Appendix A, Appendix B etc.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia