Star Lounger
    Thanks

Icons rest (Windows XP SP 2)

Alright this problem just started happening totally randomly and I can't explain it for the life of me or find any help online. Very frequently, maybe 5-15 times in an hour, my icons will all reset their position. By this I mean that one second they're where I want them to be, and the next they are all in a grid on the left side. My temporary solution was to download Iconoid which is a freeware program that saves the position of your icons so whenever they reset you can literally put them back with the click of a button. I have them all aligned to grid which has never been a problem, and when I click "modified" they just reset to the left side. This happens upon restarting the computer, going in and out of different windows, logging in and out, sometimes without doing anything at all and it's driving me insane. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Icons rest (Windows XP SP 2)

Do you have AutoArrange un-checked?

I too have custom arranged my icons and have ONLY the grid thing checked. It doesn't happen to me, BUT I thought I would point out that I have seen one or two "system wide" things that will re-align all the icons when the change is made. I can't even remember for sure what they were, but it may have been something like changing the Start Menu from XP to Classic look or something like that. It's leading me to suggest that you look for something "scheduled" that might be having this system wide type of impact, like antivirus or firewall checking for updates, stuff like that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just saw your <post:=618,678>post 618,678</post:> in the Hardware forum. If these two problems are on the same machine, I'd work on the "mouse" problem first as it could be having some impact on the screen placement of your icons.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yah it's the same computer, and they are very well interconnected. i just don't know where to begin. This computer has had nothing but problems ever sinse i bought it 3 months ago. I had a slew of problems then, and I reformatted the hardrive and reinstalled windows and now i have a whole new slew of problems. this doesn't end - never buy a Dell. If any super-intuitive computer wiz thinks they can find a solution, then that would be awesome.

And auto-arrange is unchecked.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think your problem is with the icon arranging then, but I'm hesitant to LOCK this thread just in case the touchpad/mouse problem doesn't solve this one.

I have a Dell desktop and have no experience with their laptops. I did have problems with my touchpad when I had a Gateway and they too were hard to resolve. Let's concentrate the search in your other thread, ( <post:=618,678>post 618,678</post:> ) unless we need to come back here, OK?