3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dell printer cartridges

Just got a new box and part of the deal was dell 810 printer. Dell's info says that they are the only one supplying cartridges for that printer

Cartridge looks just about like an HP cartridge - same size, same profile, same series of contacts(looks like an "M")

Does anyone know if other cartridges will work - or is dell truly the only supplier?

Thanks in advance
    Tom

Thanks

Re: dell printer cartridges

Did you try Googling for compatible cartridges? I get plenty of hits for suppliers of Dell compatible cartridges in the UK....

Thanks

Tom,
    Leif is right on there.
    It sounds just like HP saying you should only use HP cartridges in their printers. That's where the real profit is regarding printers and supplies.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The only word of caution I would add to what Leif and Bob have said is to be very careful of the "vendor" from whom you might choose to buy cartridges. Don't let so-called low price deals sway you. I have had bad experiences with both HP and Lexmark and ink jet as well as laser printers. In every case where I went for the low price, I was stung with cartridges that either didn't work at all or ran out after no time at all. Just be careful... Having worked 30 years for Big Blue, I know that "supplies" is where the revenue is, but there IS something to be said for the engineering involved!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And to back up what Al says, there can be a huge difference in print quality, and some cheap cartridges can shorten the life of the printer, so be careful out there.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A lot of these so called deals, ones that are brand name, are the cartridges that come with a machine. Most of them are only a third full, and were NOT made to be sold but ONLY with a printer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone - I checked around and Dell turned out to be the cheapest on their web site - they threw in free shipping - not sure if that is a special or something they do with small orders

Tom