New Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot table sorting (Excel 97)

I have a pivot table with two field rows and a total column. I would like to sort the total column so that it is in descending count order of field B for each change in field A. When I click on the total column and sort it, it only sorts correctly for the first field A entry. The remainder of field A changes are not sorted.

I've attached a simple example - in the pivot table I want it sorted so that the total column count is descending by Fruits and descending by Vegetables.

I'm pretty sure I was able to do this one time, but just can't seem to find a way to do it now. Can anyone help? Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot table sorting (Excel 97)

If you double click on the Food Field heading in your Pivot Table, you should launch a dialog for setting some options. Click on advanced and you should be able to set th eAutoSort option to descending.

Andrew C

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but this only sorts the Food column. What I'm really trying to do is sort the Total column (descending by each category).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Kevin,

I omitted to include that when you set the sort order to descending, you should set the Using Field Dropdown list to Count of Category . You might also want to set the same options for the Category field so that the category that contains the food item with the highest count comes first.

Andrew

New Lounger
    Thanks

Right you are! I should have checked more carefully when setting the AutoSort options. This works just fine!

Many thanks.

Kevin Johnston