Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Archiving programs

What are the recommend free and the recommended commercial archiving programs?

I've used Stuffit Deluxe 9, is WinZIP, or anything else better?

For free stuff, I use TuGZip, is there anything better?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archiving programs

Howard,

In my mind, archiving and backing up are more or less the same thing - both involve the compression of files. What I'm getting at is that, knowing you're a user of Acronis True Image, you might find that does just the job. Just "back up" the files you wish to archive and remove them from the original device.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Backup requires the recipient of the backup file to have a compatible proprietary backup program.

An archive program uses a format suc as zip and there ar oodles of programs to create/unpack such an archive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good point. I guess it depends on whether it's just you that's going to access the archive, or whether other people (without TrueImage) will want it too.

My favourite zip application of the moment is 7zip, but I only really use it for compressing individual files for transmitting by email rather than archiving en mass.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you've probably missed something.

Thanks

<hr>Backup requires the recipient of the backup file to have a compatible proprietary backup program.
    <hr>
    I do backups with ZipBackup, which saves its backups in Zip format, thus getting round that problem.

Ian

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The zip format is not robust enough for backup purposes, or providing the functionality needed by backup and restore.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The difficulty that you will find with TUGZip is that it has not been updated for over a year now and there have been issues with it not being supported with various new software. Version 4 is being developed and they reckon it will be open source when it is launched and no date has been set.

Being that ZIP is the most common format these days what with it being shipped with XP, personally I don't see reason for me to have third party pieces of software. If we do have files sent to us in RAR we usually have a copy of StuffIt hidden away in a draw somewhere. Ian's ZipBackup software is actually very good and I have colleagues who swear by it and I for one certainly do not agree with your sweeping statement that Zip format is not robust enough. I have a feeling you should have put a "In My Opinion" at the end of it as you have no evidence to suggest otherwise. Full System, I tend to agree, but small folder structures, it is perfect.
    Jerry

Thanks

We licensed PowerArchiver for our office PCs. There was a thread at the time I was deciding.

Thanks

I'm setting up a new computer and downloaded 7zip (beta version 4.43) to see how well it works. This beta is the first version to support AES encryption for the ZIP format, and I need to test whether it is compatible with WinZip and PowerArchiver before deciding whether to settle on this program.

Meanwhile, stumbled across this page that might be useful to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...file_archivers.