Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Screen resolution settings

I have never understood the display settings, less so now that my system arrives with 17 different combinations on the big LCD display, plus the confusion that arises when I revert to the LapTop's shorter display.
    This morning I mapped out the settings (Excel attached) and tried to make sense of them.
    Setting: The original position in the unsorted list W/H: the ratio; I work with Word documents, so I'm always interested in getting a "good look" at a page, or part of a page, in normal proportion.
    MPix: If I'm right, the number of mega-Pixels; some measure of the information contained on the screen.
    Comments:
    "Must scroll the display": I don't like this setting. I must use the mouse to play peek-a-boo with display data that has sunk below the lower bezel of the monitor. I think that this column tells me that the monitor/card itself is limited to 1024 pixels in the vertical sense.
    "Optimum local": I think this gives ME the best resolution consistent with fitting everything on the monitor screen; it's what I should use in the privacy of my office.
    "Optimum export": I think this is what I should use when testing GUI forms and other displays prior to exporting an application for use by who-knows-where; ditto web pages. I am assuming that there are still a lot of 800x600 out there in classrooms, libraries, or any place where I might want my presence known via the web or an end-user application.

Please might someone confirm that my rough reading & interpretation of "Optimum local" and "Optimum export" are correct?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen resolution settings

If you have a 17", 18" or 19" LCD monitor, its physical resolution is most probably 1280 x 1024 pixels. This is the only resolution at which the monitor will function optimally, since the physical pixels coincide with the pixels in the image your video card provides. At any other resolution, the pixels in the image from the video card will have to be distributed over the same 1280 x 1024 physical pixels, leading to reduced sharpness. For a higher physical resolution, you'd have to buy a 20" monitor, which usually has 1600 x 1200 as native resolution.

There are still 800 x 600 monitors and overhead projectors out there, but in my experience, 1024 x 768 is rapidly becoming the minimum acceptable resolution.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

Your deductions are correct. The Mpix is the number of pixels in the display. Specifically, it is the result of multiplying the width number (number of pixels in a row) by the height number (number of pixels in a column). The W/H is the aspect ratio of the display. Many early incarnations of displays had 4:3 aspect ratios (1.33). HDTV has a 16:9 aspect ratio (1.78). The popular workstation format 1280x1024 or 5:4 was a prominent exception. Today many formats are popular.

The

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> the physical pixels coincide with the pixels in the image your video card provides
    Thanks Hans.
    That makes sense to me. A 1-1 mapping of infrmation content.
    I could sense that it was the right setting without a foundation for knowing why.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Paul, thanks for the extra insight.

>very few of the people you might want to reach would be stuck with
    I'm inclined to agree. My market is the busines srather than the home area. I have worked with a guy who had a small monitor. I think/hope he has now upgraded to a $250CDN model.

>wonderful attributes of LCD technology
    Is there something I could be doing to my Acer AL1714 to make my life better?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Is there something I could be doing to my Acer AL1714 to make my life better?"

No Chris, just the general recommendations of making sure you have the latest driver available, sticking with 1280x1024 mode whenever possible and, if you are not already doing it, use your monitor together with your laptop in dual-monitor mode. Many laptops' display adapter support this.

Paul