Star Lounger
    Thanks

morse code type sound (XP SP2)

This is really strange. For some reason my computer makes a periodic morse code type sound. I don't just sit at the computer all the time so I'm not sure about any pattern (meaning top of every hour or quarter hour).

Does anyone know what this might be? I have had this computer for several years and have just noticed it in the last month or so.

Thanks,

Bret

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: morse code type sound (XP SP2)

That could be any number of things. If it is not comming from the system's speakers, then the best thing would probably be something hitting the fan blades on the cooling fan. Have you cleaned the dust out lately. The worst thing would probably the the heads on the hard disk chattering which usually ends up in a head crash.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts Legare. I think it coming from the speakers but can't really say. I have been working at the computer longer today than usual and haven't noticed it since earlier in the day. It doesn't do it for more the five or six "dits" It really sound like someone sending morse code but, it is musical in rhythm. I don't know that I can even correctly say musical because of the short duration. I have made myself a note of the time I heard it so that I can possibly check that possiblity. It is nothing more than perplexing. I don't notice system slow down or anything.

I was hoping someone might know of a program or a setting in Windows that can cause this.

Thanks again,

Bret

Thanks

I live in an apartment and get morse-codey sounds through my computer speakers when the guy upstairs uses his shredder.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

good idea. it may not be anything computer related. it could be interference!

Thanks,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have it too, every once in a while. In my case, it's caused by my cell phone if I place it close to the PC.