Super Moderator
    Thanks

Joining two images together

I build databases for auctioneers, and a lot of them like to include a photo of the item in the catalogue (and the web version of the catalogue). The database has a field that stores the path to an image file.

Now some auctioneers want to include two or more images. I can either change the database or they can merge multiple images into one, such as the one below.
    The person who posted the image below does it this way:
    1. <LI>Open first image in Photoshop
      <LI>Double the canvas size, anchoring the current image to the left
      <LI>Opens second image in Photoshop
      <LI>Copy second image into first, then move to the blank right side
      <LI>Close both images
    She might repeat this process 100 times, and it works OK.

I am wondering fi there is some way of automating it? In her case she always puts the second image to the right of the first, but that would not be universal.
    An auctioneer who sells art, would like to include a photo of the signature of the artist, as well as the photo of the picture. In this case it would need to go below.

So I can image a programme that allows you to select multiple images then will automatically join then. Somewhere there would need to be a place where you could specify options. Does anyone know of such a thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Joining two images together

Hi John,

From left field: You can achieve this via MS Word, of all things!

All you need to do is to open a blank document and use Insert|Pcture|From file to insert one of more images into the document. There you can scale them to whatever sizes you want (provided they still fit on a page. Then, if you format the pictures as 'Square' by selecting them then using Format|Picture|Layout, you can easily move them around on screen to get them into the positions you want. You can even overlap the images and control which parts are in front. Having organised all that, you can use Ctrl-A to select the whole document, then Ctrl-C to copy. Next open up a graphics app - even the lowly Windows Paint program will do, and paste the lot into that. The result will be a single image laid out as you wanted.

For the most part, Word's vba environment could be invoked to automate the process.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

The open source program ImageMagick can perform myriad operations. Its "mosaic" feature can append images horizontally or vertically. Various examples can be found here: http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~anthony/gr...gick6/mosaics/. There is a command line tool, and also various scriptable/programmable interfaces. The COM (OLE) interface simply "wraps" the command line, making it relatively easier to access from VBScript or VB. To install and register the control, make sure to check the box at the bottom of the installation tasks page in the installer dialog.

Now... could Photoshop do this too? It wouldn't surprise me, perhaps by recording an action or by scripting it using some kind of batch process. But I only have Photoshop Elements and can't play with those features of the full package.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for these suggestions.

They have prompted me to have another look around Irfanview, and found that it includes an option that does exactly what I want.
    Go to Image...Create Panorama to get the following Dialog. Select the Images you want, specify Horizontal or Vertical and click the button.

The extra advantage is that I already provide all my users with Irfanview because I use it for some other jobs already.
    Regards
    John