2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dhcp Hijacks my static IP (XP Pro SP2 w/ all updat

For the longest time my pc had a static IP address assigned to it (and the rest of the network does too), but lately, whenever I reboot, it gets wiped and DHCP on my Linksys router takes over. I use DHCP on the router only for my wife's laptop (that she brings home from work), and the occasional visit from the family who may bring their own computer over (for whatever reason).

I have statically assigned 192.168.100 through 192.168.1.103 to all the devices in my network. I then told the router to use DHCP starting at 192.168.1.105.

Is there a way to ensure that once an IP address is assigned that the router's DHCP won't override it? Is this a registry setting or something else?

After I reboot, my wireless won't connect, and when I check the IP Properties panel I find my assigned IP address gone and the "Obtain An IP Address Automatically" radio button selected.

PS - I did go on the road recently and connected wirelessly in the hotel one night. Is it possible that this connection at the hotel has somehow managed to cause DHCP to override a static IP? When I got back home is when this problem began and I only use my wireless connection at home. I'm stumped.

Thanks for any input!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dhcp Hijacks my static IP (XP Pro SP2 w/ all updat

May I ask you, what is the purpose to assign static IP addresses to all devices? Usually it is necessary to assign static IP to network printers only, because of printer settings (IP port creation).
    If you need programmatically connect one computer to another, you can use computer names as well as IP addresses.

If you want to restrict access to your wireless network to your home computers only, turn on access control and add MAC addresses of wireless NIC cards in your computers to access list on your router.

Now answers:
    If you assign static IP address, DHCP server or router can't change it. Yes, it is Reristry setting.
    Yes, it is possible that you wipe out static IP address when you connected to another network (created a new connection) and unknowledgeable overwrote previous one.

Also check permissions for your user account - does it has rights to change IP settings?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"what is the purpose to assign static IP addresses to all devices?" Because I can and want the control. It was set up this way originally. I'm not worried about restricting access to my wireless network as that has already been addressed and I don't believe that to be any part of the problem.

You say it is a registry setting? Which one?

I am the network admin and have admin rights. My user account has admin rights but that hasn't changed either.

So last leaves me curious as to why my static ip address won't retain it's assigned value. The other three devices do not exhibit this behavior.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You say it is a registry setting? Which one?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSet
    - also ControlSet001, ControlSet002, etc. -
    Services{ CLSID }
    - as {1F0F3D9C-DD37-4E5A-AA4C-1155C5AEF2B9} or another in the same format -
    ParametersTcpip
    DWORD value: EnableDHCP =1(enabled), =0(disabled)
    STRING value: IPAddress =192.168.1.100
    STRING value: SubnetMask =255.255.255.0
    STRING value: DefaultGateway =192.168.1.1

If DHCP is enabled, other keys are in use:
    DhcpIPAddress, DhcpSubnetMask, DhcpDefaultGateway

Don't forget to disable DHCP (clicking Advanced button on TCP/IP Properties dialog) when you are assigning static IP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I had four of those settings in the reg, two of which had dhcpenabled = 1. I changed both to 0 and rebooted and then a fifth registry entry appeared and it had dhcpenabled = 1.

"Don't forget to disable DHCP (clicking Advanced button on TCP/IP Properties dialog) when you are assigning static IP. "

I don't see this button. I have XP pro SP1 with all current updates and I have admin rights to the machine. The funny thing is that even though DHCP wants control, it still won't connect even via dhcp....

Thanks again for your input. I suppose I'll probably have to do a reload of XP (AGAIN), or at the least uninstall and reinstall tcp.

Thanks

You said, " I have XP pro SP1 " yet your title of the thread says SP 2.

Was SP1 just a typo or which Service Pack do you have?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry - typo - I have SP2.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see this button.

Here it is:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I only get that button if I obtain an IP address automatically. And then there is no option to disable dhcp on the subsequent panel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dhcp Hijacks my static IP (XP Pro SP2 w/ all u

Huge screenshot reduced in size by HansV - please don't post pictures wider than 640 pixels.

Under my controlsetservices entries I have five keys. Do I need all five of these? Is it possible that this is the problem?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dhcp Hijacks my static IP (XP Pro SP2 w/ all u

Yes, you do need all of these keys. They belongs to different NIC drivers (Windows remembers all NICs installed) - I cannot say which one is in use.
    Yes, it is:

Under "CurrentControlSet" in each key modify "EnableDHCP" to '0'. Make sure your "IPAddress" is correct.
    You can leave "ControlSet001" and "ControlSet002" intact - they are backups.