Lounger
    Thanks

Creating invoices (word 9.0 sr-3)

Hi,

I don't know if anyone can help me with this:

I have an excel-shet. In the sheet is customer data, name adress and and delivered goods. Per row there is one customer and one delivered good. Customer can order more goods, so there can be more rows containing data per user. What I need to do is create an invoice per user, so with more llines.
    Excel needs to read a customer number, read the delivered goods, copie this to the invoice, check whther there are more lines regarding this customer, repeat this if necessary and go on to the next customer until the worksheet is empty.

I haven't got a clue what to do, i know my way around in word but excel is a mystery to me.

Many thanks in advance,

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating invoices (word 9.0 sr-3)

You can use mail merge with the Excel sheet as data source for this, but with a twist because there are multiple rows per customer. See the techniques described in How to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category in Word 2002 and WD2000: How to Work Around Duplicate Names in Mail Merge Data.

Also see Mail Merge FAQ.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you, this works partially for me.
    I need to create invoices. I want to do this with mail merge from an Excel spreadsheet. So far everything goes well, I get all invoices on new pages, still some formatting but this will be OK. My problem is that I need to add up the entries on the invoices, to do this I want to place the entries in a table. The trouble is that when I try to do this every entry is placed on a new page. Do you have a solution to this problem?

I've attached the result.

If you cannot help me I wil of course understand, if you can, I will be very very VERY grateful.

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd add the entries per invoice in an extra column in the Excel spreadsheet instead of trying to do it in Word. You can then insert the total into the Word document as a merge field.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm struggling with this. Hans' link took me to a knowledgebase article that seems like it should do what I want. I have a list of customers who have mutiple records per customer. My user wants her lists to be in tables. I seem to be able to follow most of what the article says, but I don't know enough about fields to set it up in a table format. There are 4 fields per record. Each customer may have 1-5 records. If the customer has more than one record, we want all of his records in one table as a list.

I will continue to work on this, but any suggestions you have about how get this to work in a table would be greatly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you can do that with the method described in the MSKB article if you want to populate a table.
    You could perform a mail merge as described in the MSKB article, then after the merge convert the data for each customer to a table.
    Or you could merge to a table, then after the merge split the table when the customer changes.
    Or use code to populate the document instead of a mail merge.