Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Java Runtime Environment 6

Java Runtime Environment 6.0 (also known as JRE 1.6.0 - they have an unusual numbering system) has been released.

Available from Java SE Downloads which also includes links to the development kits, alternatively go straight to the download page for Java Runtime Environment 6

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Java Runtime Environment 6

It installs on Vista Gold and appears to work just fine at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests/

Just what has been needed for Vista as this is the first release that works.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

I concur that this new version 1.6 works fine with Vista and it is the first to actually work. hehe However, I'm wondering if XP systems should update to this new version? I ran the "Updater" in the Java console and it said my installed version 1.5.09 is the latest/current version. When it comes to this type of thing, I would think that Sun MicroSystems should have the last word on whether a new version should be installed. What say you... anyone?

Jeff
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It works very well on XP, I have been using it since the first beta version came out. See Java SE 6 Supported System Configurations

If you go to http://www.java.com/ they still list 1.5.09 as the latest version even though update 10 was released a few weeks ago. The Sun update system tends to lag behind.