2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network calendar (outlook 2003)

I am trying to 'view' a calendar on a network computer. The outlook.pst file is located at FrontofficecDocuments and SettingsuserLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookoutlook.pst (address was taken from explorer). When trying to import this file I get the following error message-"File access denied. You do not have the permission to access this file". Each folder in the tree has been set to allow sharing. All files on the network (including this one) are otherwise accessible. How can I gain permission to access this file?

nebbia

Thanks

Re: Network calendar (outlook 2003)

Perhaps it is simplest to create a share pointing to the ultimate destination folder, and then use a shorter path. For example, right-click the Outlook folder and create a new share with a short 8-character name (e.g., CalShare) which you then can access at FrontOfficeCalShare.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure what you mean by create a share. I am not using exchange server. Of course any work around would be acceptable but as a side point I don't understand why access is denied only through outlook .
    Please explain how I can use 'share' to access the other calendar

Nebbia

Thanks

Sorry, I meant a Windows share. The dialogs look a bit different in different operating systems, but here's a rough idea of what I mean:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No security tab is available. I am working on this as a new and separate issue.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I resolved that issue and I am now able to import the networked outlook.pst file. Next issue. If my outlook is open the the networked outlook program can not open-I suspect it won't allow two programs to open the same file.

My goal is only to view the other calendar. Is this possible to do?

nebbia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook puts an exclusive lock on the entire .pst file (the file containing e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks), so it is not possible to open it in two applications at the same time, even if one only wants to look at e-mail and the other at the calendar (for example).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you What I've ended up doing is opening one instance of outlook and copying the entries to the second calendar.

nebbia