3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Column Break with Border Color (2003 SP2)

I don't know whether this is an unusual situation, but I would like to add a Border Fill Color to the 1st Paragraph following a Column Break. However, no matter how I do this, the Column Break itself (ie, the area at the bottom of the previous Column) also colors. It appears that I can't have a Paragraph Border Color without this also appearing at the bottom of the previous Column! Is this a 'bug' in Word?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column Break with Border Color (2003 SP2)

Your description is misleading - you mention "border fill" color, but you mean shading, which has nothing to do with borders. It *is* possible to place a border around a paragraph immediately following a column break without including the column break, but it is not possible to shade a paragraph immediately following a column break without shading the column break

Whether it's a bug is debatable, but it certainly is a nuisance. The only way around it (as far as I know) is *not* to use a column break, but to set the paragraph and enough paragraphs following it to "Keep together" and "Keep with next" in the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph so that it automatically flows to the next column.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Column Break with Border Color (2003 SP2)

Sorry for the confusion Hans--I realize the Tab is called Shading, as is the Menu item, but I got confused because it says 'No Fill' when you're selecting the color. Sorry again for the confusion.

I got around it by adding another paragraph before the one I wanted shaded, and I set the spacing to exactly .7 so the paragraph was virtually invisible. Thus, when I added the shading to the following paragraph, it didn't affect the 'Column Break'. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for confirming that this is the way Word works and that it wasn't user error! [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have a good day.