3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge formula (Word2000 sr-1a)

I am doing a document that I am trying to simplify my work on. I have set up a mail merge. One of the fields that I have is a product of two other fields. I can't figure out how to have it automatically do that formula within the merge field.
    For example:
    I have a field called "Payments" and another called "Term", another field is "Total of Payments", which is "Payments" X "Term". How do I have it do this automatically?

Any help is appreciated, I am new to this form letter/ mail merge business.

Rick

BAM

Re: Mail Merge formula (Word2000 sr-1a)

Hi Rick,

You can insert a formula field for this. Just press <Ctrl F9> to insert field braces and type an equals (=) sign. Then you can insert the merge fields you wan to use from the Insert Merge Field command.

What you want would be something like:
    { ={ MERGEFIELD Payments }*{ MERGEFIELD Term} }
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks BAM,

I was able to get the first question on the customer's names to work out, but I am having a problem with the "payments" x "Term". When I do the formula the way you explained, It simply shows the "100*120", in other words, it shows the formula: "payments x term", but not the result.
    What am I doing wrong

BAM

Hi Rick,

Did you include the Equals (=) sign at the beginning of the field? The equals sign indicates that a calculation is taking place. Otherwise Word simply reflects the mergefield data.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did.
    the result that shows after I merge the document is { =100*120 }.
    Any other clues?

Rick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

interesting thing just happened.
    If I Highlight the entire "Merge" formula, right click, select "toggle field codes", it gives me the result that I told you I was getting: { =100*120 }, However, if I then highlight that result, right click, and select "toggle field codes" again, it displays the "12000"!! So something is right, but something else is wrong?

Also, this is a dollar answer, so I have added the switch in there so it displays $12000.00, but it isn't working. I have other fields in this document where I used this switch successfully. Where do I put this switch? I did not have this switch in until now, since I am trying to get it to do the right answer first.

Rick

BAM

Hi Rick,

You place it inside of the last field brace. It would be something like:
    { ={ MERGEFIELD Payments }*{ MERGEFIELD Term} # $#,##0.00 }

As for the display of the formula vs. result, when it comes to formulas and merge fields there are two states of field codes. If you right-click and use "Toggle Field Codes" (<Shift F9> actual Word command name is ViewFieldCodes) then you see the value of the mergefields that Word is using in the formula.

If you press <Alt F9> then you "Toggle All Field Codes" (actual Word command name is ToggleFieldDisplay). This will toggle all of the field codes in the document, whereas <Shift F9> is cursor specific, and display the syntax used to create the calculation, such as the references to the Mergefield names.

Both commands for displaying the field codes act as a toggle between displaying the code and the result. So the behavior that you described is normal.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BAM,
    I can see how the toggle field codes work, and it does give me the correct answer "12000", but only on the original document that I toggle to field on. The problem is that it isn't displaying the result of the formula in the merged document. It keeps putting in "100*120" instead of the product of those two: "12000". It does this even though the toggled field code on the source document shows the "12000"

So how do I have my merged document show the product of 100 x 120?

Rick

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok OK Ok,
    I am still working on this, but it shouldn't be as hard as it is.
    If if "merge" the data onto a new document, it shows not the product, but rather the equation "100*120". It won't let me click on the document anywhere.
    Now if I minimize the document, and then restore it, it will allow me to click on the field so I can toggle it. Only then does the document show the correct answer.

Is this how this is supposed to work????

Rick