Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outline numbering

I am trying to create a template to be used by others which will have three levels of heading which will be outlined numbered. That's easy.

However, there is a need to have numbered paras under some of these headings. Numbered paras under a Level 1 heading must read 1.1, 1.2, etc while numbered paras under the Level 2 heading must read 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc.

I have tried to use list styles and lower level headings to number the paras but I cannot get one of the para groups to work. I can get one or the other but if I get the paras under the Level 1 headings working correctly, the numbered paras under the Level 2 headings revert to 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. I cannot get the paras to reference the Level 2 heading.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, Geoff

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outline numbering

I'm using Word 2000 but I don't think that be a problem. If anything, you'll have more features. If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like you want the first paragraphs to be numbered 1.1, 1.2, etc. And subparagraphs under those to be numbered 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc. What I did was go to the Format menu and pick Bullets and Numbering. Next click on the Outline Numbered tab and select the third option over that looks like 1., 1.1, 1.1.1 and clicked Customize. Click the More button. Select Level 1 and below "Link level to style" and picked List Number. Next Level 2 and selected List Number 2. Finally Level 3 and selected List Number 3. Click Ok twice to get back into your document. When you want your paragraph to be numbered 1.1 select the List Number 2 style from the Formatting toolbar. When you want your paragraph to be numbered 1.1.1. select the List Number 3 style. Does that follow what you're wanting to do?
    Daisy

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word's Outline Numbering can be difficult. The trick is to format all your numbering through the first style level (ie Heading 1). Here are my suggestions:

Open the Styles and Formatting Task pane (Format | Styles and Formatting)
    Point to Heading 1 and click the down arrow that appears to the right of the name
    Select Modify
    The Modify Style dialog box will open
    Click the Format button at the bottom and choose Numbering
    Click the Outline Numbering tab
    Select one of the displayed options that best fits what you want to do
    Click the customize button
    In the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog box, Click the MORE button on the right (if necessary)
    Select the number 1 on the Left side of the screen
    Select your number format for Heading 1
    Select your indentations for Heading 1
    Make sure that you set the "LInk Level to Style" to Heading 1
    Click the number 2 on the Left side of the screen
    Select your number format and your indentaions
    This time make sure that you set the "LInk Level to Style" to Heading 2
    Continue with each level and linking then to the appropriate heading style
    Once you have them all set, then OK your way out of the dialog boxes.
    If you need to go back and modify a number, make sure you go back to Heading 1, select Modify, and chose the Format button and Numbering.

If you need to change the font formatting you can do that in each individual style, but don't change the indentations anywhere except by going back to Heading 1, select Modify, and chose the Format button and Numbering.

I hope this helps. I've attached an example here for your use.

If you need more info, try this website: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/...eNumbering.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
    finalword

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi folks

Thanks for the input but the problem is that I think I need several list templates.

The document has three levels of headings that number 1, 1.1 and 1.1.1. Under some, and only some of the Level 1 headings I need numbered paras that might, for example be numbered 4.1, 4.2, 4.3. Then in other parts of the document, under Level 2 headings, I need numbered paras that will read, say, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.1.3 and then under another heading 7.2.1, 7.2.2, 7.2.3. The outline numbering of paragraphs as opposed to headings needs to refer back to the same headings and I can't get lower-level headings and numbered paras to work. When I set up the outline numbered list, setting up for teh numbered paras trashes the settings for the outline numbered headings and the other way around.

I think I need two different outline numbered lists. It seems that when you want one list, you get two but when you need two, you can't force it.

Thanks

Hi

Take a look at your document now. Notice that in the non-heading paragraphs, I've used a listnum field. If you insert the same level as your heading, you'll get the same numbering, except formatted for your purposes.

Does this get there?

Kim