Star Lounger
    Thanks

Send/Receive Email (Outlook 2007)

I recently upgraded to Outlook 2007 and when ever I send an email, the send / receive message in the bottom right hand corner of the 'status bar' indicates I am sending 4 of 4 messages, when I am only actually sending 1 message, using one of my 4 email accounts set up in Outlook. Outlook v2003 would always indicate 1 of 1 being sent. Can you see if this is a problem?

I am additionally worried as I recently had a Trojan file found by my anti spy ware program and am concerned that I may be compromised. I ran 3 different anti virus and spy wear programs since and do not believe I am infected any longer.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Tom

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Send/Receive Email (Outlook 2007)

I had virtually the same problem as yours, but I have two accounts and it kept reporting four operations (or maybe it was eight). I had the additional problem that I could receive but not send mail.

I went back and let Outlook set up the accounts for me. I forget how it worked, but it wanted to do all of the setting-up (viewing my data in the process), and the outcome was fine: both problems were solved. I suggest that you try searching the Help files, as it did appear to be a different procedure from that in previous versions, and I think it is part of the program and not an attack on your system. On the other hand, it could be a vulnerability as well as a nuisance if you don't get it fixed.

I regret that I can't provide proper documentation, but I probably failed to follow instructions. Maybe the pros or those with books in the works can help us out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Can you post a screen shot? If you have more than one account defined you will get a send and receive function for each account in your send/receive group.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I think your problem may be an inadvertent choice of views. The problem I ran into which was cured by a more careful setting up is unrelated.

In Outlook, go to Tools|Send/Receive|Send/Receive Settings|Show Progress. The Send/Receive Outlook Progress box will be displayed, and it will probably look exactly like the box that has you worried. The 'Details' rectangle in that box will toggle the display between having the bar grow from left to right as the tasks progress, which fits the description of what you are used to, without displaying the detailed list below. Note that the full display will list errors for you, most often if you happen to be off line. There is also a check box to give you no dialog box at all, which is probably used by those who have Outlook running continuously and don't care to be distracted. You can also arrive at the Send/Receive box from a toolbar by clicking the triangle pointing down to the right of the Send/Receive icon and text, then Send/Receive Settings, then Show Progress.

If you have four accounts Outlook must perform eight operations, because it will send and receive for each of them, even if nothing happens to be there, so eight is the correct number.

Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

This might be worth a shot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284372/en-us

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

That is quite a leap in time, but I have inadvertently run into nearly the same problem with Outlook 2007, and I can pin it down more exactly now than I could then.

It is partly a matter of habit and your respect for scarce resources, as well as the nature of what you are accustomed to in your email, I subscribe to numerous newsletters, and hear from few non-sp*m human sources, so I typically read my mail at my convenience. I pick it up with the Send/Receive command, rather than have it delivered. That means that I have no need to run Outlook continuously.

If I am expecting something and want to be alerted to it, then I do run Outlook and set it to download the mail every so many minutes, which means the first pickup is when I turn Outlook on. If I top that with my customary Send/Receive command out of habit, then I double the number of transactions without my having intended it.

There is no harm done and nothing to worry about. I prefer the full display of transactions to see that there are no errors reported, but if I discover that I am suddenly seeing double then it's either the sherry I am enjoying at the moment, or else a pair of commands to Outlook when there is only a need for one.

Thanks

Try setting up your e-mail accounts in groups.
    This works very well if you don't want to receive e-mail from some e-mail accounts as often as you would from another. For example you need to receive your business e-mail every three or four minutes, and you don't want your personal e-mail but every thirty minutes.
    To set up the groups, Click on Tools/Options/Mail Setup/Send and receive.
    You can also set how your e-mail is displayed from there as well as the size of attachments etc.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)