Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing emails

I'm in the throes of changing our web and email domains over to new names, and am testing the sending of emails to the new email addresses.

However, I am significantly baffled by inconsistent results. Sometimes emails make it through the spam filter software to Exchange and are deposited in my Inbox, sometimes they disappear from the face of the earth, and there is no trace in any log, and no error (or any other) message back to the sender. I can't find any characteristics of messages which succeed or those which fail. I have a variety of email addresses, all aliased to me (abuse@, postmaster@, JohnG@, and so on) but it doesn't seem to matter which target email is used - sometimes the message gets through, sometimes it disappears.

I wonder whether anyone can give any suggestion as to how this problem can be approached?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing emails

I hope I can scrub this question, because asking a similar question of our ISP's Technical Support produced teh response that the MX A record for mail.ourdomain.org.uk originally pointed to two IP addresses, one being our Exchange server and the other being one of the ISP's mail servers!

Knowing almost nothing about this matter, does that seem to be a valid explanation?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I would think it is highly relevant.

Does mail go directly into your Exchange server from the outside world, or do you collect it from a mailbox at your ISP?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The emails go direct to our Exchange server. No, not a good idea because there is no buffering and a single point of failure, but this I inherited! In the New Year I will investigate passing the emails through Yet Another Host...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, has the A record been changed to point solely to your IP, your ISP's IP, or left alone to both? It might be that when a lot of traffic is hitting your ISP the second IP (yours) is used, but at times of low volume (have you tested it at, say, 3am?) it goes to the ISP's mail server. Second, does the ISP's mail server know to forward the mail to your exchange server if addressed to your domain?

You say that originally all the mail was going to your exchange server, and you planned on changing that (eventually)... any idea how the A record got the two IPs to begin with?
    "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will be hacked. What&#39;s more, you deserve to be hacked." -Richard Clarke

Thanks

"MX A record" = confusing...

It is not uncommon to have multiple MX records, one pointing to your mail server and the others pointing to external ISP queues. The sequence in which they are accessed is based on a preference value in the MX record. (For best results, they should be different values.) Then there should be a single IP address (A record) associated with the host for each server/queue.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The problem was clearly caused by the website hosting company for unknown reasons, since one of their jobs was to set up the MX record(s) when the new domain name was created. The current domain's MX record simply has a single IP address, the same one as appears when I run http://whatismyip.com (from a PC within my domain, of course!), and that's what the new domain name's MX record has been set to. The web host, when asked questions in this area, always protests that "we don't handle your email"...

My terminology may be wobbly since I know almost nothing about the area - either we had two MX A records with different IP addresses, one correct, the other not, or there was one MX A record with two IP addresses. Whatever was the case, it now seems better, and I'm going to BLAT a whole bunch of emails at the new mail domain to test it, since the global DNS servers have presumably been updated by now!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure that that would cause your problems, but I don't think that's a good idea anyway.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I'm not sure that that would cause your problems, but I don't think that's a good idea anyway.<hr>
    You would have to be a bit more informative about the various thats for me to get any idea of what you are trying to say, I'm afraid...!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry! I think I posted that at the end of a chaotic day, when my brain was quite melted.

Anyway, that two MX records, one IP thing. Assuming that you don't have two separate mail domains on your mail server, I don't think it's a good idea and I wouldn't do it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Now we have one MX recording pointing to one (the correct!) IP address, All seems to be Well!

Thanks, everyone.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...