New Lounger
    Thanks

Music (CD) list (1)

For a new 200 CD changer, can I compile a list of all the discs by title with names of artists and songs, genre, time etc., and later access this list by a specific question, such as finding a certain word in a title or such? (windows xp)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Music (CD) list (1)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Did you have a specific reason for asking this in the forum about Microsoft Project? If not, we can move it to a more appropriate place.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply... I'd really appreciate it if you could move my question to a more appropriate place, as I'm new to all this. As you probably can tell by my original question, I'm also quite new to the computer, too! What is the more appropriate place, so I'll know for future questions? Thanks again, Pat (Canook4)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have moved this thread to the Software Finds and Wants forum because that is the best place for questions about miscellaneous software.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know of a way to tie your 200 Disc Changer to to your PC, but that doesn't mean it can't be done...

If you are are looking for a way to build an index or database for your CD collection, then your PC can easily be used for that purpose. There are many good programs that you can use to catalog your collection and I will name two that are free and simple to use:

Windows Media Player v11 - Provides dozens of ways to customize and sort your music list. Provides a handy search box near the top of the application that will let you drill through your list to find the tune you're looking for. If you are running Windows and use the Microsoft Update service, you may already have this program.

iTunes - I do not use this program but it is very popular. It provides a similar feature set to Windows Media Player. iTunes is an Apple product (the makers of the Mac and iPod) but the program works just fine on a Windows based PC.

There are others. MusicMatch and WinAmp, for example. All of these programs will read the information directly from your CD. You should have to do little to no typing at all. It will take some time to feed your collection one disc at a time into your PC.

A final note: All of these programs have a tendency or desire to report your usage data back to their headquarters. But if you check the settings and preferences carefully, you should find where you can decline to participate. Some people probably do not have a problem with this but I do not like any program phoning home...

HTH
    - Ricky

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tricky- Sounds straightforward enough- I'll get a chance to try some of this out this evening, I hope.
    regards, Pat (Canook4)